Artistic RenderWorks - How do I get it brighter?

I'm not having much luck getting my scene brighter using Artistic RenderWorks. I've turned the ambient lighting to 100% and turned it on and off and that does not seem to make a difference. I've added spotlights and more spotlights all set to 100%, but the overall scene brightness seems to peak at what I consider too dark and that's all I can get. With these same settings, Fast RenderWorks is way too bright and Final RenderWorks is just a bit less bright than the Fast RenderWorks. What can I do to brighten the scene with Artistic RenderWorks?

I wonder if there's something wrong with the Artistic RenderWorks rendering, and I've thought so for a while. I messed with lighting my scene for many hours over the past two days, and all I can say is that the results of adding lights to the scene makes no sense. I started with one spotlight, pointed it on my work in my scene, set it to 100% brightness, and set it to none for both distance and angle falloffs. I render the scene and I see the results of that light. Now my brain tells me that if I want the scene brighter, I just duplicate the light object and that would double the brightness, right? Wrong, the light volume is the same on the area where both lights land. If I shift one light right or left, then the are outside the other light get lit. Why isn't the overlap twice as bright as where only one light lands?

I've had issues with artistic as well. In scenes where I've got lights all over the place, sometimes I get no lit areas at all. Just a swath of grey.

Also of note, try replacing a directional light with a point source. I get a massive increase in brightness with a point source.