Rotating roof rafter profile on y-axis

Hi All,

I’m having an issue rotating a roof rafter on the y-axis.  Full disclosure, this is my first design using Vectorworks, so I’m still a newbie. 

I have a shed roof at a 2/12 pitch (9.46 degrees).  I have a 2’ roof overhang at eaves and rakes, so I want to show ladder framing at rakes.  I’ve drawn the ladder frame rafters, but they’re profile is vertical in the ‘back’ view (see attached).  I want to rotate each rafter 9.46 degrees (on the y-axis) so they’re perpendicular to the main rafters at the 2/12 pitch.  I’ve tried the rotate command, and I’ve tried rotate 3D, in both “Top/Plan “ view and “Back” view; each time I get a message saying “Hybrid objects can only be rotated about the z-axis”. 

I’ve done some digging online and others concur that this is an impossibility as objects cannot be rotated in that manner.  Surely this cannot be, as ladder framing is a common practice.  I’m hoping someone out there can tell me what I’m doing wrong or can point me in a different direction.

Thank you!

Chris     

image.png

What type of object are your ladder frame rafters? If they are hybrid objects then yes you can't rotate them about the X/Y axes because this isn't compatible with their 2D representations. If they are Framing Members for example you need to rotate them using the 'Roll Angle' parameter. If they are hybrid symbols then you need to delete the Top component to convert them into a 3D-only symbol then you can rotate it. Are they hybrid objects as the message suggests?

I was trying to deal with the same issue yesterday.   I can have a roll angle for a beam, but as soon as I turn it into an OWSJ I lose that option.

I ended drawing the OWSJ joist to the length I wanted with the framing member tool, then converting it to a group so I could rotate it in the vertical plane.

If someone has a better way to do this I would really like to hear it.

Also I like that they combined all the wall tools into one tool.   I wish they would do the same with the Structural member tool and the framing member tool.