Shapefile import error

Benson Shaw

Question

Attached zip contains 475kb folder with shapefile and associated files describing PLSS quarter section boundaries for Township 26 in King County, Washington, USA.  File was acquired as download from the county GIS portal (free if you want to fetch for yourself).  The .shp file does not load into my VWX2023.  Strangely, this shp file loads properly into Qgis.  I also have a folder with same named files acquired from same county data hub in 2020. Thatv shp file loads as expected into vwx2023.

Newer shapefile import produces this error regarding the .shx support file. Note that the shx file is named twice - extension in caps and extension in lower case:

• CPLErr( 3 ), err_no( 4 )
  • Unable to open /Users/bensonshaw/Desktop/PLS QtrSec Twnshp26/Public_Land_Survey_Quarter_Sections_-_3_county_area___plss_qtr_area.shx or /Users/bensonshaw/Desktop/PLS QtrSec Twnshp26/Public_Land_Survey_Quarter_Sections_-_3_county_area___plss_qtr_area.SHX.
  • Set SHAPE_RESTORE_SHX config option to YES to restore or create it.

No clue how to make the suggested correction.

Is this problem with my installation of vwx2023?  MacOS 12.6 (Monterey)? the county data hub?

Can anyone make it import to vwx2023? try v2022 or earlier?

Here's the county GIS data standard:

• Projection: State Plane*
    Zone: 5601  (Washington State Plane North; FIPS Zone 4601)
    Datum: HPGN
    Units: feet

*Technically, State Plane is a coordinate system, not a projection.

Any comment appreciated

-B

PLS QtrSec Twnshp26.zip

Edited by Benson Shaw
clack clack clack

3 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Attached zip contains 475kb folder with shapefile and associated files describing PLSS quarter section boundaries for Township 26 in King County, Washington, USA.  File was acquired as download from the county GIS portal (free if you want to fetch for yourself).  The .shp file does not load into my VWX2023.  Strangely, this shp file loads properly into Qgis.  I also have a folder with same named files acquired from same county data hub in 2020. Thatv shp file loads as expected into vwx2023.

Newer shapefile import produces this error regarding the .shx support file. Note that the shx file is named twice - extension in caps and extension in lower case:

• CPLErr( 3 ), err_no( 4 )
  • Unable to open /Users/bensonshaw/Desktop/PLS QtrSec Twnshp26/Public_Land_Survey_Quarter_Sections_-_3_county_area___plss_qtr_area.shx or /Users/bensonshaw/Desktop/PLS QtrSec Twnshp26/Public_Land_Survey_Quarter_Sections_-_3_county_area___plss_qtr_area.SHX.
  • Set SHAPE_RESTORE_SHX config option to YES to restore or create it.

No clue how to make the suggested correction.

Is this problem with my installation of vwx2023?  MacOS 12.6 (Monterey)? the county data hub?

Can anyone make it import to vwx2023? try v2022 or earlier?

Here's the county GIS data standard:

• Projection: State Plane*
    Zone: 5601  (Washington State Plane North; FIPS Zone 4601)
    Datum: HPGN
    Units: feet

*Technically, State Plane is a coordinate system, not a projection.

Any comment appreciated

-B

PLS QtrSec Twnshp26.zip 160.19 kB · 1 download

That opens up fine in 2021 & 2023 on MacOS 12.6.

The data correlates with the aerial image in Vectorworks too.

See attached.

pls for bensonv2023.vwx

• Like 1

@jeff prince  Many thanks for looking and for verification!  After checking your file and boiling a bit in my fine kettle of fish, I tried first the repair function in vwx installer (no fix), then, finally, the most obvious: a system reboot. (Duh)  Shape files now import as expected! Yay!

This is just me exploring georef.  No liability with clients.  Onward to compare/verify lat/long of corners of section 36 with other sources. I found values at Earthpoint (associated with Google Earth), but coordinates do not match the georeffed corners in vwx.  NE corner is out by a couple feet which isn't horrible (.04%) over the mile width of the section. But, I thought it would be closer or spot on because assumed BLM and County data derived from same PLSS survey.  Guess not.  Or maybe Earthpoint uses other projection/CRS.

Anyway, thanks again.

-B

image.thumb.png.437a9200c8502fd8289420d92cb98fad.png

-B

• Like 1