Hoist Data Tags on Layer Plane

spettitt

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way for data tags to not end up down on the layer plane when adding them to hoists.

image.thumb.png.74d5cdb37f5b9ba3c0dc9c87fb31d381.png

I know the rule that data tags are placed on the layer plane when placed in a T/P view, but I don't understand of what value that rule is. We need to rigging plots in T/P view. If the DT tool was in Label Mode then putting the tag on the layer plane would make sense - but it knows it's being associated with an object that reports a Z coord far above that in the OIP, so it would seem more logical that it would pick up the Z height of the hoist and automatically match it?

Any of the below would work for us - are any of them possible, please?

- Any functionality I don't know about Data Tags where they can insert at the same Z coord as the object they are tagging

- Have some kind of script that could find all data tags associated to hoist objects and then move them up by the correct amount, plus, say, 300mm to avoid the chain bag.

- Be able to disable their visibility in 3D views including when the model is exported to a 3D DWG, such that clients and venues don't see the random text all over the floor.

If exporting DWG from T/P view, the 2D hoist symbol is shown at the correct elevation and the data tag is at the same elevation. When exporting DWG from a 3D view (which we will likely move towards), the 3D hoist is obviously shown but the DT text is down on the layer plane.

Thanks very much,

Simon

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @spettitt,

Have you tried using the Automatic Plane insertion? If you have this selected, hovering over different parts of objects in 3D view will draw a highlight of that part marking it as the active working plane where the new data tag will be inserted. That way you can add new data tags at the height you want.

image.png

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for this. Yes, I have tried that, but have various issues with it:

• The tag can go anywhere on the hoist casing geometry in 3D, so it's easy to click a place on the hoist that is misaligned in T/PV to the insertion point of the hoist. In the same way, the automatic working plane aligns tangent to nearby geometry, so clicking at the wrong point on the hoist casing produces wonky tags, especially if using multiple eligible object mode.
    image.thumb.png.271541d9acad3fe89cf2c772ab05c2e9.png
    image.thumb.png.9945dc964c6eb622026d2b20511335a9.png
  • It doesn't actually seem possible to find the correct insertion point for the stock hoist geometry in 3D - there aren't any geometric features here to snap to. (//It would be great if Vectorworks could recognise the centrepoint of solid/hollow tube end faces as a snap point, not sure if that would help in this case, maybe//)
     image.png.1940fee87b9fa480dbc61277c33f998a.png
    image.png.6b6144be01d3c1c0454f91a7e8315919.png
  • Overall, having to insert data tags in 3D to make them work properly is slow and doesn't seem logical for a rigging plot application, where most of the work is done in the Top/Plan view. It's much harder and slower to get them aligned correctly in 3D, whereas that's what T/PV does well.

Thanks

Simon

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Just wondered if you had any ideas with this please? If it's not possible out of the box, could you suggest how I could get started on a script to run that would lift all of the data tags by a certain amount please? More than happy to just get in the habit of double-clicking a script to update data tag heights once changes are made.

Thanks

Simon

On 10/17/2022 at 3:06 AM, spettitt said:

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for this. Yes, I have tried that, but have various issues with it:

• The tag can go anywhere on the hoist casing geometry in 3D, so it's easy to click a place on the hoist that is misaligned in T/PV to the insertion point of the hoist. In the same way, the automatic working plane aligns tangent to nearby geometry, so clicking at the wrong point on the hoist casing produces wonky tags, especially if using multiple eligible object mode.
    image.thumb.png.271541d9acad3fe89cf2c772ab05c2e9.png
    image.thumb.png.9945dc964c6eb622026d2b20511335a9.png
  • It doesn't actually seem possible to find the correct insertion point for the stock hoist geometry in 3D - there aren't any geometric features here to snap to. (//It would be great if Vectorworks could recognise the centrepoint of solid/hollow tube end faces as a snap point, not sure if that would help in this case, maybe//)
     image.png.1940fee87b9fa480dbc61277c33f998a.png
    image.png.6b6144be01d3c1c0454f91a7e8315919.png
  • Overall, having to insert data tags in 3D to make them work properly is slow and doesn't seem logical for a rigging plot application, where most of the work is done in the Top/Plan view. It's much harder and slower to get them aligned correctly in 3D, whereas that's what T/PV does well.

Thanks

Simon

One trick with this is to automatically align the data tag to any to any object in the drawing to set it's orientation, and then you can move it from there. It doesn't have to live there permanently. I often run into this, especially with rounded objects like truss or pipe, pick a nearby face to align them to (could be a LED screen, wall, floor, speaker, truss CB plate... whatever works) and then move by points. It's a few extra clicks but super easy.