Hidden Grid Line Instances

Todd V.

Question

I use grid lines in most projects for structural grids.  Grid line labels within a file may not be duplicated for good reason.  However, when adding grid lines to an existing sequence and attempting to edit the label value for chronological sequencing, I sometimes receive an error message "You have entered a label value that is already in use."  My issue is that I cannot find the grid lines with that label anywhere in the file after checking all design layers, viewports, using custom selection, etc.  Is there any way to locate a grid line with a specific label, or override a label, so that it can be deleted to allow proper sequencing of other grid lines?  Thank you for any help.

3 answers to this question

I am having the same problem.  After much searching, I'm relatively certain that gridlines 1-4 and A-G don't actually exist in my project.  However, I cannot use these numbers or letters in my grid - I get the same error message as noted by Todd V. above, "You have entered a label value that is already in use."  The only solution I can find is to convert the smart grid tool to objects - give it a lobotomy, as my coworker says - which removes the value of having the tool in the first place.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My starting point would be:

Screenshot2023-10-27at16_21_44.jpg.15c1b42785154a49ae5b771b999b9a43.jpg

and if "objects that meet the criteria" seemed to be more than it should be, then I'd turn on all layers, deselect all of the "legitimate" grid line objects and press delete, and see if that fixed it.

If the custom selection revealed the correct number of grid line objects then I'm not sure what I'd do.

On 10/27/2023 at 3:18 PM, ScottL said:

I am having the same problem.  After much searching, I'm relatively certain that gridlines 1-4 and A-G don't actually exist in my project.  However, I cannot use these numbers or letters in my grid - I get the same error message as noted by Todd V. above, "You have entered a label value that is already in use."  The only solution I can find is to convert the smart grid tool to objects - give it a lobotomy, as my coworker says - which removes the value of having the tool in the first place.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, Just had this problem. Turns out that I had one grid directly on top of another. My bad, but hope this helps someone in the future!

• Like 2