Multicore Cable Setup

elc

What is the current most elegant way to deal with multicore cables?

All I found was this thread by @tspilman which is not quite the same (although very similar) where there is actually a physical connection point (the OptiCon) in between.

How would I put something like this in a schematic...
(I am thinking about longer cables with e.g. fibres, but this is the longest multicore from the stage-section that I found with a quick search. 😉 )
meaning x-amount of cables going though one jacket. each cable might get a cable number (or color-code as above) but the "main" cable might have one too.
grafik.png.05f5a0ebdaedd5408e7d32d2ba66e6c5.png

source: the sssnake DMS 222 - 50

grafik.thumb.png.693dcfa6bb14ff56a44a87d7acc0d44d.png

Currently I am trying to use the method above (top) with the multicore being a device (single green arrows), but then obviously on the other (break-out) end, all info on the individual cable numbers/ color codes is lost. And I have to put them in manually. the bottom solution is similar and might be closer to how the snake cable mentioned might be used. (cable numbers on the right side are manually numbered obviously.)

1. Does it matter if I use Terminal, Jackfield or connector panel for this? (these are just placeholders anyway, right?)
  2. How do you guys out there handle this?
  3. Is there a best-practice @Nikolay Zhelyazkov?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @elc,

12 minutes ago, elc said:

Does it matter if I use Terminal, Jackfield or connector panel for this? (these are just placeholders anyway, right?)

- These are all devices, so I do not think that it matters which one you use.

12 minutes ago, elc said:

Is there a best-practice @Nikolay Zhelyazkov?

- Well, at least for me, I think that multicore cables have to be presented with multiple circuits. If you want you can have them all connect 2 sockets, but to me it seems better to have them connect to separate sockets. I do not think that there is a way to create the main cable on the schematic. It will be presented by the cable path on the 3D layer. Anyway, I am not that much into industry, @Conrad Preen should be able to give you better and more detailed answer about this.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

@elc As Niko says you can use separate circuits or when for example it's the same 12 circuits going from A to B with no breakaways you can set the multi-circuits param of the sockets to 12 at each end and a nice little x12 appears on the ends of the circuit and you can see this in the reports as well. ConnectCAD doesn't manage this multi-circuit information in any way. You are the designer and you can choose how to handle this.

Adaptors are on the roadmap !

49 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

Adaptors are on the roadmap !

...yes, good news! and maybe you can squeeze in multicores. 😉

for now I just use the above mentioned work-arounds (as I need to have a cabel number for the individual cables inside the multicore AND the multicore itself. 😕 )

My suggestions are not workarounds. There is no intention here to force our users into some particular way of designating multi's and their individual cores. We provide tools tools to help you implement your workflow. When it comes to labeling and numbering there is no "right way" handed down to us on stone tablets.

You can number cables either manually from the Object Info Pallete, or by typing into a worksheet, or automatically using ConnectCAD cable numbering or by using the Spotlight Numbering command. You can allocate a Cable ID for each of your multicores and incorporate this into your cable number if you wish. There are many solutions open to you.

Conrad

28 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

My suggestions are not workarounds

sorry, was talking about what I currently am trying to do (as stated in my initial post).

28 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

There is no intention here to force our users into some particular way of designating multi's and their individual cores.

understood. and that is great. but the reason I am using ConnectCAD and dont just draw my schematics in AutoCAD or MS Paint is that I would like to use all those fantastic automations that are already implemented. 😉
And multicores are pretty standard in a multitude of installations. wether it is a permanant installation by AVIT system integrators like us or for a one time event like a Rolling Stones concert. IMHO

that said, there is just not enough documentation and  tutorials to learn about this stuff. Luckily my boss is (at least for now) pretty patient with me going through the forum and the available help pages. But also in this case:

Why not incorporate this into a tutorial and offer 3+ ways of presening multicores in a schematic. (ideally with as little manual adjustments as possible)

and just to make sure we are on the same page:
I really enjoy working with ConnectCAD and I am very grateful for the features it offers and am excited about the potential it has in combination with Vectorworks for us! 😉

edit: and I really appreciate you @Conrad Preen and @Nikolay Zhelyazkov being patient with me (us users) and taking the time to deal with our issues here. 🙂

Edited by elc
  • Like 1