Exporting to DWG becomes a massive file

Flair-Studio

Question

Hello guys,

I am reaching out to you because I already contacted VW premium support and received little help and had to wait two weeks for it.

I am in desperate need of understanding the procedure to export multiple sheets into DWGs to collaborate with external consultants. I am working on medium size VW files (about 100mb each) with about 10 sheets per file. When I try to export the sheets into DWGs, each exported file becomes a HUGE 70/100 mb file although the drawing is fairly simple and if drawn natively into AutoCAD, wgould have been 1 or 2mb ONLY.

This thing is driving me MAD as I think what the other consultants might think when they receive a huge dropbox and have to waste loads of time to simplify the exported drawings. If anyone has any suggestion or best practice to follow when exporting DWGs that would be very much apreciated.

Thank you

Federico

3 answers to this question

Just trying to understand your file; when you do export a .dwg do the images from your .vwx change size?

Is your file 2D or 3D?

Are you wanting to export the entire file contents to .dwg, or just the date shown in your drawing sheets?

VW tends to export a lot of crap along with the data you want and it can take a while to develop workflows.

I'll see this again again in ~10 hours

Hi Unearthed,

Thannks for coming back! My files are all 3D / hybrid files but what I wish to achieve is to export just the sheet layers.

I discovered it is actually getting better when ticking Export viewports as 2d graphics in paper space but still when there is a file with sheet layers whith several viewports each and with maybe different rendering modes. then it can get really messy!

In case you have further suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again