Limiting a worksheet query to an object and a specific layer

Sue C.

Question

We created custom symbols years ago and have had problems with the spreadsheet double and triple counting when we have several of these symbols in separate layers, since it wants to count all the symbols in the file. Is there a way in the spreadsheet to make the formula limit the count to a specific layer where the symbol resides? The formula is currently written as =COUNT(S='symbol'). I'd like to limit the count to symbols on a specific layer without counting the same symbols on another layer. The end product is to show a table of symbol counts. 

Thanks

Edited by Sue C.

3 answers to this question

Thanks, that worked! Frankly, I don't know what did it. Was it the number of closing brackets? Was it the fact that I put the Layer formula first? Was it the space between something or other? Because I literally tried all of those in some for or other. I think you're right in that the brackets are quite temperamental. The formulas now work, but some have 2 outside brackets and some have three 🤷‍♀️

Glad it worked. I normally build my functions in VSCode as I have better visuals that way and can remove any extra spaces etc - very easy to make errors typing directly into worksheet . VW functions seem largely undocumented, I have a long list of what has worked for me in the past (along with completely inexplicable ones that didn't work).