Notes Database Problem

rcarch

Since upgrading to VW11, we have been keeping our notes databases on our server, so the entire staff can refer and edit them. With the 11.01 upgrade, the notes database, when accessed, would give an error message that meant it was open in another location (which it was not) and then it would mysteriously be erased from the server altogther. I have been able to reproduce it consistently, especially with the upgrade to 11.5 (which I was hoping would fix it). Has anyone else had this experience?

rcarch: are you on OS 10.3.8 like the other two?

Everybody: what make/model of network operating system are you using? Or if you're doing peer-to-peer networking, what are the peers? Also, if you're on Macs and hooking up to a Windows server, are you using SMB or AFP connections? (If your Windows server isn't set up to handle Mac file types, you're using SMB.)

With this information, I'll try to reproduce this behavior here.

Regards,

Charles,

We're peer to peer. All computers are running same OS and version of VW. One of the lesser-used macs (G4, 1ghz, 1gb) has a second hard-drive installed that functions as the "server". . .perhaps more accurately as a shared hard drive.

To be more precise, the only time we've had problems is when the notes database is first created by the user on the "server". When it's created by one of the remote computers (we have a whole 5 computers on our network!), there doesn't seem to be a problem. I've tried to track it down to permissions, etc., but can't seem to get predictable failure other than all of them (so far) have been with files created at the "server" station.

Hope that helps,

Charles,

We are on 10.3.8, and we run over gigabit network to a Xserve running the latest server update. The notes reside in a shared location with the rest of our project files and other shared libraries. We set up the reference to the notes database, and that works fine, but as soon as we go to place a general note or a call out that references the server location we get the error. i do not have the exact text with me tonight, but i will post it tomorrow.