Problems with wall stroke, layer link

Fairfax

Hello,

I am trying to generate construction drawings from 3D models, specifically "As-built" and "proposed" models of a 2 story house (4 separate layers in all). I need to overlay the top/plan view of each model and show the "As-built" walls with dashed lines, i..e walls to be removed. My approach was to set all walls in the "As-built" to be stroked with a dashed line. Problem #1: Not all walls show up dashed. Then, to make a drawing sheet, I created a new layer and "layer link" the two layers. Problem #2: With layer link, the dashed line disappears and does not seem to be an option. Aside from copying the contents of each layer to the new layer (bad for updates) does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? The option of showing multiple layers doesn't work because the sheet has to have both stories next to each other, so the floors have to be moved out of alignment.

Thanks,

Graham

Graham

Are you using 11? Seems an ideal thing to do with viewports.

I think that if you imported a 3d model and the objects are 3d polys (or some other 3d thing) in VW then the linestyle will not show up. If you convert all to lines on the layer then the linestyle shows up in 2d.

The other technique you may try is to use the layer transfer mode to change the line color where the walls overlap. Look in the online help and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you do it print with the "rasterize" option set or it won't print correctly.

Good Luck

Rick

Graham, if you use different classes for different wall types I think you'll have greater success with your graphics. Just go into the class dialog and set the line weight/dash style for eeach different wall type. For example I use a dark shading for new wallsm a lighter shading for existing walls and a dashed line with no shading for walls to be removed. Make sure that the "use at creation" box is checked (on) in the each class setup window.

• 4 weeks later...

Setting the wall stroke by class or manually makes no difference, when the layers are collected on a new layer with "Creat Layer Link," all the walls lose thier stroke and fill and default to white fill and solid stroke - there is no way to alter this on that layer. What am I missing here? It seems like a bug.