SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Sure,

It's a 3 story house that I'm trying to build in 3-D. I dont think I have any rendering on. My elevations are hidden lines but I don't have them updated. I'm having trouble with any and all commands. Drawing 2d lines, adjustingPIO parameters, selecting amd moving 2-D and 3-D objects. It just seems to lag a lot between operations.

I have my auto save set to save each 50 operations.

Any help would be great.

thanks,

Seena

In my experience 3 things which slow VW down are:

- multiple light sources casting shadows

- multiple solid additions and/or subtractions

- round elements.

Only use the light sources you have to and turn unnecessary ones off where possible.

With solid additions and subtractions - turn them into Generic Solids or Nurbs where you can.

With round elements:

- think about the scale and whether they need to be modelled round or not (sometimes a hexagon or octagon or even a square will suffice if they are small visual elements eg. balusters).

- reduced the 3D resolution while you are working on the model to make the machine have to do less calculations. Only ramp it up for the final outputs.

The problem with round edges is that they can very quickly add many billions of calculations if your not careful.

Other tricks:

- Use classes to your advantage: - through saved sheets you can control what is visible and what is not visible. eg. for most exterior views you don't need the interior detail, and vice versa.

- Adopt a stage set philosophy and only model the detail where you have to.

A final few thoughts:

- check that you don't have multiple layer links throughout the drawing resulting in duplicates in the same layer

- check for corrupted objects (The window wall tool gave me a real bad experience of this not that long ago with very bizzare OpenGL rendering results)

[ 11-09-2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]