True Type fonts with Drawing Labels and Elevation Markers

I just changed from my preffered Open Type "Tekto Pro Cond." to a True Type font "City Blueprint" to avoid missalignment issues.

I then printed a file to a .pdf to have printed at a service bureau. That came out just fine, but when I reopened the original .vwa file all the Drawing Labels and Elevation Markers font had been changed to Futura Book.

What's going on with these markers? Is there only one font that will work with them?

I check my Font Mapping in preferences and it says to replace Futura Book with City Blueprint, but yet it's doing just the opposite.

What gives?

Ed Rose

Residential Designer

The Sea Ranch

Mac G4 PB/OS 10.3.5

VectorWorks Industry Series 11.0.1

i notice this similar problem with files created under VW 9 that we are working in 11. it is especially prevelant with the revision marker object. if i place the mark in a drawing and try to change either its class, line weight, or fill, its converts to geneva. there is no way to get it back to helvetica, which is our standard drawing font. our fonts are true type, by the way...

Hi Ed. Hmmm... You might try remapping the offending font. But I would also be curious to know what the official tech support team has to say. It's especially interesting that the file seemed to be affected by the export (for the printer). If that is the case, here is a possible workaround: Make a copy of the file and the use copy to do the export. Then throw the copy away. I bet your original file would still be OK. Peter

[ 10-14-2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

Hi Peter. I do make a copy of the original to export from. I was just reading about creating .pdf files in my Acrobat 6 manual, and they recommend saving the file as a .eps and then with Acrobat Distiller create the .pdf.

Possibly going directly to a .pdf from .vwa is too much of a strain for my computer memory wise and it leaves a trail of havoc.

Still puzzled. I also wasn't able to print a document I created in Adobe Illustrator and saved as a .pdf. Adobe troubleshooting also said there may not be enough memory and to turn off all other applications.

I reinstalled Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro to see if things will get better. Maybe something got corrupted, since this has just recently been a problem.

Ed Rose

Residential Designer

The Sea Ranch, CA, USA

Mac G4 PB/1GB Ram/OS 10.3.5

VetorWorks Industry Series 11.0.1

After reinstalling Acrobat 6.0.0 I discovered that it worked but the 6.0.2 update was giving me the no printing problem.

I'm still not clear on the best way to create a .pdf from a .vwa file. Do I print/save to .pdf or save as .eps and distill to .pdf file. The later gives me a much smaller file but requires an extra step.

Any suggestions? Can a script be written to accomplish this with the touch of one button?