Converting spot heights/gradients into a DTM

flowerpower

Hi

I'm a new user to Vectorworks Landmark (a week) and trying to use Vectorworks for a current project, a very steep learning curve! I am a garden designer and am trying to create a 3D view of the garden design. I have placed spot heights onto my drawing. Now I can't work out how to produce a DTM. I need to mark where my datum is so the spotheights make sense. Do I have to create contours? Having carried out the survey myself, I don't have 'professional' survey data to input. Its the turning of a 2d plan into 3D model that baffles me. Please can someone help? Thanks.

It's all pretty simple:

1) Create Layer 'C-Exst-DTM'

2)Show a contouring Grid with adequate spacing , 2x2, 4x4 , etc . Show Grid with your 2D Plan Layer snapable.

3)Place 3D Loci at the Grid intersections and assign elevation datum on 'C-Exst-DTM'.

3) When done Goto AEC>SiteModel> Create New DTM from Existing 'C-Exst-DTM' ... select the contouring parameters

based on the Grid set-up & elevations.

Always try to work from a '00' elevation baseline regardless of the actual site elevations. For example if the site is 300 and the DTM are 300+, Then just use '00' as base.

Site-Modifiers are a lot tougher to get right ... creation of the 'Proposed' is both an art & a science. Have fun with it ; )

Thanks for the fast responses. I have already found the exercises and movies in Landmark and Architect but have had problems getting the sound to work - the sound's garbled. Ive now downloaded the latest quicktime but now have no sound at all and Qtime doesn't respond (am working on Pc). Am not sure why.

I shall try Islandmon's suggestion and get back to you. cheers :-)