VWArch standards

I am new with VWArchitect 11.0.1

If I menu to File > Setup > Standard Naming I find in the "reference" drop down list a category called "VWArch" with VW predefined sub-categories for classes, layers and views.

When I create layers from the Organize > Layers > New, and select the "Create New Design Layer from Standard" option, there are a ton of AIA categories to choose from, but only one VW category displayed and that is "VWMech_Classes.sta".

While all the AIA categories offer multiple sub-categories for layer selection, the only offered sub-category to the VWMech option is "Layer-1".

So my question is...what file contains those VWArch standards displayed in the "Standard Naming" interface and how do I make those standards appear for selection in my respective new classes, layers and views interfaces?

I have searched all documentation (I have full printed, cd's and tutorials).

Thanks so much for any assistance.

JB

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is a good point. There are two approaches to this:

(1) you really don't have to create classes individually, as Create Standard Viewports will do it for you;

(2) if you do want to anyway, set up a file (it can be empty) with all the classes by creating one of each kind of drawing in the Create Standard Viewports command. Then save the blank document and put it in your Standards directory. It will now be available when you want to create new classes.

We'll work on remedying this oversight.

Thanks Robert for the helpful reply. Thanks to Dan from VW as well who responded via email referring me to the layermap section of the help documentation.

Using your suggested method (1) from above I can indeed allow VW to create layers and classes psuedo-automatically. With that method however the type of project was not defined and the results were rather generic. In the interest of project flexibility I went forward with your second suggestion.

After following your method (2), there is still a significant delta between the options available in the "Standard Naming" interface and the "New Classes/Layers/Views" interfaces.

For example, there are ~85 layers to choose from in the "Standard Naming" interface but only ~35 now available in the "New Layers" interface (yes, I have created one of each drawing as you suggested).

Looking at the layermap where Dan sent me does show the layers that display in the "Standard Naming" interface, but does not show (that I can tell at least) how to make them available individually.

Now, if you tell me that it turns out these standards currently are not completely available individually I will survive quite well and will look forward to future versions where they are. If however there is truly a way to make them available through a work around I would still appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

JB,

Thanks for pointing out this out. Currently there is no drawing that contains the VWArch layers and classes. To create one, do the following:

1. Run the command File > Setup > Model Setup. Change the Number of floors to 1 and leave the Number of basements as 1. Click OK on both dialogs.

2. Run the command File > Setup > Create Standard Viewports. For each Type of Drawing, add one of each to the Viewports to Be Created window. (Be sure to add only one Auxiliary Pan Drawing and Notation Drawing of each type - these types do not automatically skip to the next row when a type is added.) Click OK when done.

3. Save the drawing as a template into the Standards folder. Use any name you want, but I would recommend VWArch.sta.

Now, when you add a new layer or sheet, all of the VWArch layers and classes will be available when you select the VWArch.sta. We will add this drawing to the Standards folder so it will be available in the next release of VW Architect.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.