VWX 2021 Love Smart Options Display, but....

Smart Options Display will be really useful in 2021.

But I am so used to using the spacebar to pan!  I have tried re-configuring it using the § key (what is that for anyway?!) for Smart Options, but can't get the spacebar back to the old usage.

Anyone know how to do it?  I am on a Mac

Edited by Andrew Davies

Does the Space Bar not pan for you when you move your mouse? Back in the days of 2020 (yesterday) the space bar would change the cursor to a pan hand, now the hand should only appear when you move the cursor. Is that not what you are seeing. I also have my smart options display set to another key as well......

Have you tried turning off the Spacebar usage for the SOD (yes I know!) in Vectorworks preferences?

Thanks Mark

That's the behaviour I am getting.  I have turned off spacebar usage in the SOD preferences too...

I quite liked, and am very used to, the old / back in the day style (yesterday - as you say) of the spacebar acting in boomerang mode, I think that is what it is is called. ie - hold down space bar and the mouse cursor pans, no need to go to all that extra effort of holding the left mouse button down.

Not quite ready to go back to yesterday yet - still early.  If I had a choice mind, given Brexit here in the UK, the virus etc 2017 feels very appealing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Smart Options Display will be really useful in 2021.

But I am so used to using the spacebar to pan!  I have tried re-configuring it using the § key (what is that for anyway?!) for Smart Options, but can't get the spacebar back to the old usage.

Anyone know how to do it?  I am on a Mac

Hi Andrew,

I have been testing, trying to determine what the issue might be but I'm not seeing any problems.  Here is how it should work in 2021:

- If SOD is turned OFF for spacebar, a single press of spacebar does nothing.  If you press and hold the spacebar and then move the mouse or click the mouse then the pan tool will be activated. 

- If SOD is turned ON for spacebar, then a single press of the spacebar will launch SOD.  if you press and hold the spacebar and then either move the mouse or click the mouse it will launch the pan tool.

The only difference between 2020 and 2021 is that in 2020 the cursor for the pan tool would appear immediately on the press of the spacebar.  In 2021 we are waiting to see what your next input is before showing the pan cursor.  But the behavior between the two versions should be exactly the same.

Please confirm if this is working for you, or perhaps there is some other issue going on with your particular setup.

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 2

I am so sorry for wasting your time!  

I could have sworn that in 2020 - holding the spacebar and moving the mouse panned.  but of course not - you need to click and hold the mouse button.  That would have been crazy.  I have done that for 10 years + so don't know why I suddenly thought it was different.

Please ignore me. 😳😳😳😳😳

I was so convinced I even fired up 2020 to check 😳

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, Andrew Davies said:

I am so sorry for wasting your time!  

I could have sworn that in 2020 - holding the spacebar and moving the mouse panned.  but of course not - you need to click and hold the mouse button.  That would have been crazy.  I have done that for 10 years + so don't know why I suddenly thought it was different.

Please ignore me. 😳😳😳😳😳

I was so convinced I even fired up 2020 to check 😳

No worries, I'm just glad there's not a bug there!  Sometimes those unconscious muscle memory operations we don't even think about until all of a sudden it feels different.

Glad you like the new feature and thanks again for testing and providing feedback.