Viewport Annotation Mode not working properly

In attempting to finish my first set of VWA12 Construction Documents, I am trying to layout dimensions and section/elevation indicators in the "Annotation" mode of the Edit Viewport Command. However, I am not getting anything to snap to the referenced drawing/view. I have all the appropriate classes on... I even turned them ALL on (in all places) to be sure. No go. Bug? Or am I still missing something? I've poured over all the other similar posts, but they seem to lack resolution to this situation also. Prompt assistance is needed. Thanks. [Confused]

I am trying to dimension walls, windows, doors, slabs, etc. Strangely enough, I can snap (so say the SmartCursor Cues) to the plan view objects in the Viewport without entering the Edit mode. In other words, when I am on the appropriate Sheet Layer, with the desired Viewport, all desired classes visible, I can snap to anything in th viewport. But when I enter the Annotation Mode of the Viewport I cannot snap to anything except what I've newly drawn in the Annotation mode.

Yes. I can snap to the boudaries of the viewport and all of the objects within the viewport, but not to the contents of the Viewport when in Edit->Annotation Mode.

I know it's funky... I'm stumped and frustrated. I guess I'll go back to dimensioning and noting in the design layers, but was really trying to take advantage of various viewports displaying different information (classes) of the same layer (floor) for different views (floor plan, reflected ceiling plan, site plan...). NNA? Any suggestions?

OK, I think I've isolated the problem/situation. I guess it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I feel it is very counter intuitive.

1) The Viewport has all the appropriate Classes visible.

2) The Sheet Layer, however, has only the Classes visible that I felt were relevent to the display of the Sheet (i.e. "none" and "A-NOTE")

3) At this point, all items of and in the desired Viewport are snappable(?). But when Edit->Annotation is invoked, only items newly drawn in the Annotation Mode are "snappable".

4) When I exit the Edit/Annotation Mode and make all the Viewport classes visible, the result is the same.

5) However, if I make all Classes visible in the current view of the current Sheet Layer, then I am able to snap to all the objects displayed in the Viewport while in Edit->Annotation Mode. Furthermore, this does not effect the ability to snap to all items of and in the Viewport while on the Sheet Layer.

I feel this is a bit counterintuitive. It just feels like there is a disconnect between the View setups and the way the program ultimately handles info. I guess I would have expected the other classes within the viewport not to be visible if the same classes of the Sheet Layer view were also not visible.

Either a can of worms or another quirky conundrum for us users to work around.

Jeffrey,

It's been this way since 11.5.1. The tools rely on the Class setting for the Sheet, including inside Annotations, while visibility relies on the Viewport settings. It is a bit quirky.

Sorry I didn't see you post earlier. . .I might have saved you some time and grey hairs.

Good luck,