Trimming a 3D Object / Clip Cube?

trashcan

Question

Is there a way to trim a 3D object? It's a series of groups with thousands of 3D polygons and other meshes (imported DXF). 

Essentially I'd like to apply a Clip Cube to the most parent group. Not for necessarily for Sheet Layers but in the design layer. Is that possible? 

The practical application is that we are building a section of an object and I need to work with in 3D not just in sheet layers. 

5 answers to this question

@Hans-Olav no dice with the Clip Tool, inclusion mode. 

The object is a combination of Subdivisions and 3D meshes. What ended up working decently was creating a 3D box guide and then using the 2D split view from the left, right, front, and top until all that was left was my desired bits. 

The only problem I've run into (and can't seem to solve) - is that while the subdivisions trims very nicely, but the 3D meshes are pretty torn up. I suspect because they are empty pieces and not true solids (?). If I convert them I just end up with tons of incredibly unsmoothed polys which looks pretty bad, so I've left it as a 3D mesh. Any ideas on that?