Sample scenic design file

Hi, I'm looking for a simple set design vwx file to use as a learning tool. Something with layers and classes set up. And also with sheet layers showing a groundplan and elevation. Not looking for anything fancy. Just something to be able to poke around and learn from. I can not find something like this online. If i do, It doesn't seem to be set up very well. Looking for a simple clean file. Anyone have something they would be willing to share?

There's no real standard that I know of, and people will set up their files differently depending upon how they draft.  Even in this day and age you will still run across those that draft in 2d vs true modelling.  So my first question to you would be: What is your preferred method of drafting that you are looking to investigate?  

Great question...I learned hand drafting in grad school and practiced it for years.  I know the basics of Vectorworks but I never used it much up to this point. Now I'm teaching drafting to undergrad theatre designers. We finished the hand drafting portion of the semester and we've gone over the basics of the tools and user interface.  I've acquired drafting from other folks, from my colleagues and students who are seniors, who took the class from another professor. Theses packages are a little all over the place and have a hybrid of 2d and 3d, but they are not very organized. At least not as much as I'd like. And I just don't have time to create a package that I feel is a good example. So concerning 2d or 3d, an example of both would be ideal. I'd hate for them to get stuck on 2D and not embrace modeling. But I also don't have a lot of time left with them this semester. 

@MHouston highly recommend you do the Spotlight Essentials training. It's about three hours and is a good crash course for sure. They do it every week and it'll get you up to speed especially if you've used VW in the past:

https://www.vectorworks.net/events

Though I agree. Some database of example files that are easily searchable would be great. If you dig into some of the Vectorworks University tutorials, there are some example files that will show you the kind of thing you're looking for, but it will take... time to find what you're looking for. 

• Like 2

I will say this: do NOT overlook "SAVED VIEWS".  I get files from people all the time and seldom see anything with saved views.  Part of the issue is the name.  I think most people seem to think it is just for saving "views" and assume they already have quick access to plan, isometrics, front, back, sides, etc.  It's FAR more powerful than that.  It would probably be better termed SAVED STATES".  Here are some things for which it can be useful:  

Navigating towards various sheet layer print set-ups.  

Navigating to your camera views for renderings if you use those

Navigating to a set-up layer if you use those

---All of the above can also be done from various other navigation locations, however, once you get in the habit of going to one location for all navigation, you will find this speeds up workflow quite a bit.  

Save a few 3D views with no classes or layers saved so you can do quick views of your modeling in 3D, regardless of what classes and layers you have active while in the design process.

Save any number of set-ups with classes and layers visible, greyed or off.  Class and Layer viewing options can be saved as well.  

What I call "Working" views.  These are views that are set-up specifically for what I am working on at the time.  If I am laying out flown lighting, I go to that saved view and it turns on or off whatever I would normally need to see, and makes the correct layer and class active so any fixture I import into the drawing automatically goes to the correct class.  Same is true for any department or sub department.   Once you get the hang of working this way, you will be shocked that you ever did anything else. 

I am attaching a couple of screen shots of my saved views.  Note that I work in a lot of different settings and have to be able to accommodate any number of departments and scenarios.  Therefore I have a ton of classes, and saved views that will probably not be needed for every project.  Also, I save a lot of blank views (the ones with the dashes) to help work as breaks so I can find things quickly.  

saved views A.png

saved views B.png

• Like 4