Disable Ctrl-click?

Is there a way to disable the duplication of objects by Control-clicking them (Windows)

Many of my students in the new Windows lab of VW inadvertantly make scores of duplicates by accidentaly holding down the Control key and clicking objects.

Despite being reminded of this, they still do it (usually trying to Shift-click) and get frustrated that something "doesn't work" (because there are 12 more of them underneath!)

I haven't found where to turn it off.

Can I?

N.

Hi Nicholas

I can understand what you are saying. It's seems unfortunate that these two often used function keys sit closely together.

On Apples of course its the alt click key for dups. I'm using a Mac all this week and slipping up from time to time.

Other than encouraging your students to try greater control on keying, maybe rather than trying to turn it off could it be reassigned to another key for this function ?

Maybe as per the Macs, over to the alt key, although this does sit one more over on Windows keypads, but that may be even better.

Of course so long as it's not taken or overidden by Windows OS in some way.

Alan

[ 10-25-2005, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

quote:

Originally posted by alanmac:

maybe rather than trying to turn it off could it be reassigned to another key for this function ?

Maybe as per the Macs, over to the alt key, although this does sit one more over on Windows keypads, but that may be even better.

Well that could work Alan, but I can't find where in VW this function is controlled. It doesn't seem to be in the Workspace Editor or the Preferences.

Nicholas

Ah yes, need NNA's input I think. Bad news is it may be "hard wired" as they say, into the program.

Alternatively make up a little raised "button" of some description and put on one of the keys so they can feel the difference. Some keys already have something similiar though I've never known why.

Alan

[ 10-25-2005, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Alan,

A bit of trivia: on a "qwerty" keyboard there's typically a slight bump or dot on the F- and J-keys (sometimes the D and K) so a touch-typist will know his hands are on the correct alignment. There's also typically this same little dot on the 5-key of a 10-key pad.

I was lucky enough to have a great type teacher back in middle school. They don't even teach "type" anymore, I think it's called keyboarding. But thanks to this teacher, and those little dots, I can usually blow these youngsters away when it come to words-per-minute. To say nothing of complete sentences. . .even complete words!!

Just figured inquiring minds would like to know!!

[ 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Hi Travis

Thanks for the trivia. Can't say I'll remember it so as to impress some young lady at the next party I go to with it though ;~)

I did have a feeling it was something like that.

It's one of my many regrets, I skipped the typing class when doing my design for print course (1974). They knew all those years ago that "hot metal" typesettings days were numbered and wanted us to get typing ready for the "revolution".

Mind you the revolution then was ibm typewriters with interchangeable "golf balls" showing different font and point size.

Yes you had to change the "ball" for a font or a point size....

Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you... we use to live in cardboard box in middle of road - help getting a Monty Python moment coming over me. (British humour)

So you're a wizz on the keyboard, how are you at making coffee, geting the post out and reminding the boss about his wifes birthday. Like what you've done with your hair by the way ;~)

Alan

Now back to the serious stuff..

Thanks for that Katie,

I was afraid it might be stuck like that.

Travis and Alan,

My typing has reached ADVANCED hunt-and-peck! Two index fingers, AND occasionally a little finger for the shift key or return! on the other hand; I can do joined-up writing

However, I raise your GolfBall typewriter: when I wert boy we 'ad dip pens and ink. The Ink monitor had to mix up the powder with water once a week and fill up the bottle for the teacher. I had to go and stand in the corner because i stuck my finger in an inkwell in preps. {:-O

- not to mention those evil Ruling pens (that they still sell!

and you tell tha' to kids these days and they don't have a clue what you're talkig about. :-)

Now: can anyone trump that with ..........a Slate perhaps? :-D