Ungroup objects with record or class information?

Isn't that something that only happens with groups you've assigned a class to? If so, you can just leave all your groups in the None class, and you won't get that message. You can control visibility, class color, etc., by assigning classes to the elements of the group. If you want them all to have the same class, you can do it inside the group.

But I don't know about "record information", which might also trigger the message. I don't even know what that means.

Actually, no, I don't think you will. I think Groups are always created in the None class, even if some other class is the default. So you should just have to avoid changing the class of the group after creating it.

I'm not sure about all this, since I don't make much use of classes. But I group and ungroup constantly and never get the message you described. Your question made me curious, and so I experimented to see how I could replicate what you're talking about.

Jan: Used to be that Groups defaulted to None. Now they are assigned to the active class, whatever that might be.

Bruce: You'll only get that dialog if the Group isn't part of the current active class OR if it isn't assigned to None. In every other instance, you'll get the dialog. Can't really tell you why.

Good luck,

Travis, I am always working with classes to be able to separate my drawings to make seeing objects easier. Most often I want a group to have a class other than none. The problem is the "Ungroup objects with record or class information?" dialog box I get when I try to ungroup the group is kinda of stupid. If you answer yes, the group ungroups. If you answer no, nothing happens. When I evoked the ungroup command, that means I want to ungroup! I don't need to be asked if I'm sure I want to ungroup. I see no way to turn this off. It just makes me do work I don't need to do.

Bruce,

I agree, this dialog is absolutely pointless, and a waste of time! I have to kill it off hundreds of times a day! Why ask you a second time if want to do something, and what makes the problem with ungrouping objects that have record or class info so dire that you need a warning dialogue?

Anyway, if do you need to change your mind that is what the undo command is for!

Vectorworks, please get rid of this silly dialog box, or at least give us the option of turning it off in the preferences.

• 16 years later...

So now, they added the tick box to always choose the desired action, so you don't have to click this away. Sadly, I accidentally ticked the box and pressed 'no'. When I try to ungroup now using Cmd-U or through the edit menu, nothing happens.. Please help!