Reflected Ceiling Plan Work Flow

@Matt Panzer getting this to work has reminded me of another issue related to section viewports.

Grid line objects get drawn as a solid line "in elevation" (as well as existing in the annotations space) if they are seen by the "below cut plane" extents of the section.

I think I've noticed this previously in HSVPs and for that reason place my grid line objects at an elevation well above the model. That means that normal downwards-looking HSVPs don't see them and the issue doesn't arise. However... in these reversed ones, they *are* now seen, and unless I exclude them by setting the "below cut plane" extents to a suitable limit, they get drawn as solid lines in the viewport (superimposed on the dashed lines they are intended to display with, in annotations space. Not sure if this is a bug, or me doing something wrong.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
49 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Yup sure, got that - it's just that that particular number no longer refers to an absolute-value elevation, as it does normally.

Right.  That's why we need to create a proper UI for RCPs so those field names and numbers are presented to the user that makes sense.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:17 AM, line-weight said:

@Matt Panzer getting this to work has reminded me of another issue related to section viewports.

Grid line objects get drawn as a solid line "in elevation" (as well as existing in the annotations space) if they are seen by the "below cut plane" extents of the section.

I think I've noticed this previously in HSVPs and for that reason place my grid line objects at an elevation well above the model. That means that normal downwards-looking HSVPs don't see them and the issue doesn't arise. However... in these reversed ones, they *are* now seen, and unless I exclude them by setting the "below cut plane" extents to a suitable limit, they get drawn as solid lines in the viewport (superimposed on the dashed lines they are intended to display with, in annotations space. Not sure if this is a bug, or me doing something wrong.

@line-weight, I found an outstanding bug (VB-174392) related to this issue.  The thing I found (back when it was reported) that fixed the problem was to turn off both  "Display extents before cut plane" and "Display extents beyond cut plane", update the viewport, then turn on the extents as needed.  Maybe give that a shot?

15 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Expand  

@line-weight, I found an outstanding bug (VB-174392) related to this issue.  The now thing I found (back when it was reported) that fixed the problem was to turn off both  "Display extents before cut plane" and "Display extents beyond cut plane", update the viewport, then turn on the extents as needed.  Maybe give that a shot?

Have you tried that file in VW 2024?  From what I see, the issue has been fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

@Matt Panzer I think I've found a minor bug, using the unofficial reversed horizontal section RCP approach.

A line was showing on a slab object that shouldn't have been there. The slab had its uppermost components offset at the edge, but not the lowermost component (which formed the ceiling to the space). So, viewed from below, none of those offsets should have been visible but it was drawing a line for the edge of the offset components.

I turned off "display 2D components" and the line went away. That solves it for now but would be a problem for anyone wanting to use 2D components elsewhere in the viewport.

24 minutes ago, line-weight said:

@Matt Panzer I think I've found a minor bug, using the unofficial reversed horizontal section RCP approach.

A line was showing on a slab object that shouldn't have been there. The slab had its uppermost components offset at the edge, but not the lowermost component (which formed the ceiling to the space). So, viewed from below, none of those offsets should have been visible but it was drawing a line for the edge of the offset components.

I turned off "display 2D components" and the line went away. That solves it for now but would be a problem for anyone wanting to use 2D components elsewhere in the viewport.

Ah, right.  Thank you for bringing this up!  I agree that this is a bug and submitted one (VB-202822).

• Like 1