Amorphous - Julian

Fix Bugs in Floor Objects

Question

We get all kinds of strange reaction in floor objects.
I find that performing an 'ungroup' operation on a floor option generally triggers this strange reaction. 
At other times even without the ungroup operation, the floor object will either change appearance. 
I am going to create three separate posts below to demonstrate what happens. 

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

[EXAMPLE 2]
These Ghosted Objects are not selectable, non-existent, and affect the appearance of our drawings
(We have to draw things over them to 'block' them, and redraw everything that should appear)
HELP!
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

[EXAMPLE 3]
Floor Objects Suddenly have 'no fill'.
We have to 'double click' into it, change the fill to 'solid', then back to 'fill by class', and exit the floor object for it to be normal again.

no fill.png

after double click.png

• Like 1

@Amorphous - Julian 

I have noticed the same problems and I have been ringing the alarm bells about FLOORS in VW2019 now for awhile and to no avail...in fact I got a less than ideal answer from inside VW regarding their use.

Eric Berg, our intention is not phase out the floor, but rather to investigate the possibility of eventually building all the functionality of the slab into it so we can eliminate the redundancy of objects and have just one that has all the functionality of both the slab and the floor. What you are seeing here are the results of some of this behind the scenes development that we did in support of the Hardscape object. Floors can now support components and Slab Styles, even though there is no UI for users to access these options at this time. This is why you are seeing the extra objects when you ungroup a floor - because a floor is now defined by components, and it must always have at least one. And a floor component is another floor object, which is why you are seeing that.

Some of this needs to be improved, and there are still some bugs here - in particular, we will look at any rendering and texturing issues. But in the meantime, if you want a simple hybrid object like the floor used to be, you can create a pillar, which is the exact same thing.

Before receiving this response I had been told on many occasions that VW was phasing out floors as archaic, so I guess this is their way of doing that...making them unusable.

My whole take on this is one of extreme disappointment. For us there are no good, simple hybrid objects any more that we can use for easy hybrid 3D modeling, particularly for exterior paving improvements. Every other option comes with significant downsides, which is why we were still using floors.

The unfortunate answer...don't use FLOORS any more.

• Like 2

@ericjhberg

Sadly, the more we try to forge ahead with a Vectorworks BIM process, the less attractive it seems as an alternative to AutoCAD + BIM process.

The lack of a good Hybrid object for 2D-3D, is just one of the many examples. And I’ll sure you discovered this the hard way (wasting hours of your time), like we had.

Perhaps I’m just deflated with the whole thing at the moment. But it truly feels all the time I’ve invested into Vectorworks has been futile.

I fee quite ready and prepared to just go back to doing everything in 2D. I can no longer think that things may improve in another two years.

Edited by Amorphous - Julian

@Amorphous - Julian My intent was not to discourage you, although I get that way myself from time to time.

We were just having these discussions the other day, and because we are landscape architects, we came to the conclusion that while VW is not perfect (for reasons stated here and in other various posts), it is still one if the best products for our profession and our workflow. It does allow us to do significantly more (efficiency may be in question) than tradition AutoCAD 2D drafting would. That said, I cannot speak to the architectural side of things as much. I know that there is more BIM competition in the architecture spectrum that may be worth investigating, but perhaps VW is still a path forward.

Hi @ericjhberg I was so ultimately discouraged today when I vented my frustrations with to friend, who is a Revit architect. 

Amongst many things, I told him Vectorworks HLVP rendering times is really slowing down my office. He told me this process is instant in Revit I researched and found he’s right. It broke my heart.

See post below. 

• Like 2

Hi @Amorphous - Julian, I was just verifying the problem, first using your file, then trying to recreate the problem from scratch. What isn't apparent in your video is whether or not the Floor-objects-behaving-badly have already been ungrouped. They are ungrouped in the file you supplied so I presume they are also ungrouped in your demonstration. This makes a big difference to the verification process and investigation engineers will do. 

Could you please post a file for each of the issues you've mentioned?

• Whole/intact Floor objects demonstrating any symptoms related to: The teleporting, un-selectable/ghosting, disappearing, (these will likely all have the same cause) and 
  • Floor Objects Suddenly have  'no fill'

…so I can test and submit them to engineering. 

Engineers need either a file exhibiting the problem or steps that reliably invoke the problem (preferably both) in order to quickly validate a problem. 

Floor objects received at least one update in Vectorworks 2020 that I know of, addressing the problem of textures not showing on the top surface when applied directly, and not showing on the other surfaces when applied by-Class.