Copying a bunch of symbols in walls to other layers

I have a 1st floor electrical plan that I want to copy up through to other floors (with minor adjustments).

Problem is, as far as I know, you can't select a bunch of symbols of which some are inserted in walls.

To get around this I've been going around manually taking all the symbols out of the walls (by copying, deleting and then pasting in place).

Question 1: Is there a script I can use that will take all symbols out of walls and leave them in place?

Question 2: Does anyone know of a better strategy for what I'm trying to achieve?

I'm not sure about the script, but I do wonder about the need for the symbols to be inserted into walls to begin with. I guess since I don't know what they are I can't say. If you are able to keep your electrical on a separate layer or even grouped in a separate class life gets easier.

Problem is that would make it more difficult to place them in the first place, especially since many of walls in the building I'm currently working on are at 12? relative to the rest. It's also a furniture drawing and so it's useful to be able to insert these symbols at a consistent distance from the walls.

I see your logic. Still, I guess I would start off on a separate layer (layer options @ show/snap others) or in a group (pref set to show others while in groups) and offset a line from the wall to use as a guide. When inserting snap to and rotate to the guideline. You would only have to rotate once, and then drag copies off it.

Doesn't really help your current situation, but something to consider.