toogle between layers

I am using VectorWorks 11.5 in Mac os 10.3.8. I am wondering if there is a lock function in togling between layers. Everytime I ckick an object within a same scaled layer, the clicked layer becomes active. This could be a convinience, but there are some cases that I don't want this function. I usually do my notes in note layer with bunch of referenced drawings. When I click any of the referenced layers by accident, the referenced layer becomes active. Afeter that all my note are mixed up in different layers. I hope there is a lock function in togling, so that I know I stay in the 'Note' layer as long as I'm doing notes. Your answer will be greatly appretiated.

Thank you.

Not to sure why you have a notes layer Bruce.

Are you an ex autocady?

Why not use viewports and annotate.

Often I use Ctrl Alt 3 (number pad) to switch only the active class on only or at times go Ctrl Alt 7 to make them all active .

If you look up in organise > layer options these shortcuts are defined.

If you get used to having only the active layer on and know how they are stacked you can use Ctrl Arrow up or down to flick thru the layers.

If often have my notes on the same layer and turn on and off with classes.

This means you could use your floor plan several times and have a classes as Text Door, Text General, Text Electrical.

Viewport the floor plan several times and turn off and on those classes.

One layer used.

Or do these thru as I suggested before the Viewport annotation mode

hope this helps a little.

Brendan

You shouldn?t have layers becoming active as you click, but I also recommend that you don?t use the layer option, ?Show/Snap/Modify others?. The danger with this option is that you could start modifying the other layers without realizing it.

there are reasons to have text on a layer, for example if you are using Work Group Referencing. I you are not, then like Brendan, I suggest that you use a class for the notes. I use classes for notes and Dimensions:

Notes-Foundation

Notes-Framing

Notes-Electrical

Notes-Sections

Notes-Elevations

This gives me the ability to put the notes and dimensions on the layer as the plan (allows for associative dimensioning) yet I can make up all the viewports that I want...

Use Classes as you would Layers.

Use Classes to differentiate stuff; but Layers for different scales.

It took me way too much time to get this concept, but start doing it and you will discover one of the reasons why VW is a superior app. Jonathan is on target.

After years of trial & error , I simply use layers for Objects and Classes for the attributes of those Objects. This avoids naming issues and allows me to avoid protocol conflicts. In otherwords forgeting to activate an object when it is in an 'invisible classe'

is easy to do but much harder with Layers. All objects on a Layer would need to be invisible and easily noticed as a mistake.

Every Object must have at least one visible 'boundary' part during every instance.