Line reshape: angle snaps not working

line-weight

Question

Not sure if I've inadvertently changed a setting somewhere or if this is something that has appeared in 2018 SP5.1.

If I use the pointer tool to grab the handle at one end of a line, then when I move that end I expect to be able to snap to 90/45/30 degree angles by holding down the shift key.

However when I do this now, holding down the shift key will only let me move the end along a line that's a continuation of the existing line.

Attached screen recording shows me firstly drawing a line: when drawing the line, the angle snap works as expected. Secondly I try to reshape the line by moving one end of it. Without the shift key pressed, I can move it anywhere. With the shift key pressed, I can only move it along a continuation of the existing line.

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@line-weight from my testing it looks like holding down Shift during a resize has always constrained the operation to the line's current angle (tested back to VW 2010). If you have the "Snap to Angle" constraint enabled you can snap to the 30/45/90 angles without pressing the Shift key, though.

If you're using the Reshape tool on a poly segment you'll get constrained to 30/45/90 angles while holding Shift, but the resize feature seems to work a bit differently than Reshape.

Hope this helps,

Tim

4 minutes ago, Tim C. said:

@line-weight from my testing it looks like holding down Shift during a resize has always constrained the operation to the line's current angle (tested back to VW 2010). If you have the "Snap to Angle" constraint enabled you can snap to the 30/45/90 angles without pressing the Shift key, though.

If you're using the Reshape tool on a poly segment you'll get constrained to 30/45/90 angles while holding Shift, but the resize feature seems to work a bit differently than Reshape.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Hi @Tim C.,

Thanks for your response.

It must just be that I turned off the 'snap to constraint' inadvertently at some point, and then got confused because of the inconsistency between how the different tools behave.

I've turned that constraint back on now.