PANZER CAD REQUEST!

HEengineering

Question

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, HEengineering said:

@Matt PanzerI know we have discussed this in the past but is there any hope for a Panzer  CAD update for 17-18?  We have reached the end of the line for use in 14-15.  The only function Im really after is to create VP's from Views!  If this isnt something that you see coming send me a PM and maybe we can arrange to have it written for our personal use?

@HEengineering, Unfortunately, this is not something that would become part of Vectorworks. However, I will see if I can get it working for you. There seems to be quite a bit of code that needs updating, but I'll see what I can do when I have some time.

• Like 1

@Matt PanzerI realize its a pretty large request for a very small firm.  We can certainly convert single sheets 1by 1, but for large projects of 100's of sites that conversion method is not practical for us when a client request them.  While we don't use it a ton, when we do it's a huge aid in making quick work of what would be an otherwise impossible task.  

Keep me in the loop on the effort involved once you have had time to asses the work required.   Our team over here thanks you for all your contributions and support over the years! Thanks again Matt.

Edited by HEengineering

for this instance id say 90% of the time it's all 2d.  Ive tried for years to find a way to integrate 3d in a working manner for our industry, but with the time frames we deal with its simply to0 fast paced.  We don't deal in architecture. Were in a specialized industry where 2D works and is all the customer wants or needs.  The sites changes almost quarterly so the effort to build a model retains little value from the up front time to build the model if that makes sense. A symbol I make today could be outdated tomorrow. Due to the clients we work with thats about all I can say.

@HEengineering I noticed I gave this command already a try in 2006. This time I managed to get a working version. Although not perfect (no perspective and no render info). It should do for 2D work and simple isometric views. How to know it is a view and not a script? I checked the name of the palette:  "Saved Views".

Please give it a try. There are two plugins. The one you asked for and one with a little twist. I hope it helps you through the bulk of your work.

Download address: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ady3rx2kxn2kul/Create_ViewPorts_from_.zip?dl=0

@Gerard Jonker, Thank you for sharing them!

@HEengineering, Please let us know if they do the trick for you. I checked the code for the old ViewPack commands and they would need considerable enough changes to make work in current VW versions. They use old dialog calls before "modern dialogs" were added to VW. That tells me the code probably has a good amount of other deprecated calls that would need updating.

-Install the plug-in "Create ViewPortss from Views". See movie in the link below.

-After installing run the command in a file with Saved Views.

-A dialog pops up asking if you want each ViewPort an a new SheetLayer

-Check your SheetLayers.

The youtube movie is about a tool, in this case it is a menu command.

Edited by Gerard Jonker

I have already installed both plugins that was not the issue.

-Which command do I run first? Seems regardless of which I run I end up with every DL being converted to viewport and then that is the name of the sheet layer.  What I need is for it to convert the saved view to a sheet view and move all the DL's over to that sheet view and save it in the same way.

This seems to leave me with more views than I want and each viewport is a sheet layer.  I wish I had a way to show how pazer cad was working as a comparison but I dont. 

Among my clients there were many who Used to set up their files in such way that you needed merely changing the active layer to have another drawing in sight.

The command "Create ViewPorts from DesignL" assumes your LayerOptions to be set correctly, Then it flips through the DesignLayers and creates a ViewPort on a new SheetLayer for each new actively Layer. Some of these VP's maybe maeningless (only showing grid and Title border) but all other VP's should be useful.

Enjoy.

there in lies the problem.  How can I get it to put all the DL onto one sheet view instead of creating a sheet view for EVERY DL? Im lost.

I need all my T-1 DL's to be converted to a T-1 Sheet view with all the DL turned to VP on that one Sheet layer.  So that My sheets would be T-1/A-1/A-2 and so on.

I do appreciate the effort but so far I have not be able to get the final results I was hoping for.

@Matt Panzer

Reviewing the way panzer cad worked in old files…

Pazer cad would create a viewport for each design layer and place multiple design layers on 1 sheet view.

What We have here is a conversion of 1 Viewport on a sheet layer showing all the design layers and that is why Im seeing the issues with scaling when we have a multiple scales from the DL trying to come thru one 1 viewport .  Hope this helps?  Please understand I have almost zero scripting knowledge.

It does seem that there is another option in the script to make each converted DL a Sheet Layer viewport. This process would involve me going thru each sheet grabbing the VP's I want and placing them on a new sheet layer with multiple VP's so as to avoid scaling issues? This would take way to long and isnt viable for 100's of sites at a time.

To me this is a big void to fill in the VW world.  It seems strange to me as VW users we really don't have a great way to export to dwg specifically in a saved views workflow. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 12.23.36 PM.png

BTW: I made some headway on the ViewPack commands over the weekend. I believe it's very close to working in VW 2016. Once it works there, I will test it in the current VW version to see if it works (and make adjustments). I probably won't be able to look at it again until this weekend... Hopefully I'll have it running soon! 🙂

• Like 1

Thats awesome news.  It's certainly not something we need right this second.  Gerard's is a short term solution for a few in the interim.  Heck if you could get it by end of month I would be elated!  One thing I will always attest to is this forum has been such a strong support group.  Thanks guys!

Our workflow doesn't incorporate viewports.  We simply use it as a tool to convert drawings already completed in saved views into a viewport style workflow so that we can export a working ACAD file to the client in once nice file format. We often have no idea whether they want all files in CAD or just a few.  Its random at best. After the site is IFC then they MAY or MAY NOT come back asking for a CAD file.  Sometimes its part of the contract.  Just depends.

Edited by HEengineering

May I suggest to you to start working with ViewPorts in all of your projects and forget about the saved views.

At first you draw in the design layers and make every now and then a viewport. When the drawing nears completion your angle of attack changes: You roam the SheetLayers and double click viewports when you see something that needs editing. You edit DesignLayer or edit annotations. Then exit the viewport again and check the other Viewports.

When VW introduced Viewports I thought it would be great for bigger projects but after a very short period of time I started using them on even the smallest and simplest of projects, like the bike shed for the neighbours. They are so powerful, I can't imagine having to live without them.

• Like 1