Can I stretch ?

Use the 2d reshape tool.

You can marquee select over the two vertices you want to stretch and drag the object so it stretches.

If you used AutoCad for a long time and are recently making the switch to VW, you may want to consider getting the AutoCad to VW training CD. It covers a ton of information to help smooth the transition. The training CD explains how to do various AutoCad techniques using the tools and menus in VectorWorks. It's pretty useful.

jan15, cairo is referring to the AutoCAD stretch which moves selected (but not all!) vertices of multiple objects. The method is different from "resizing" a group - one major difference is that when objects are resized intermediate vertices are translated proportionately, whereas with AutoCAD "stretch" all selected vertices are translated by the same vector (distance + direction). In this sense, "stretch" is a misnomer and the command doesn't mimic elastic behavior as seen in the real world.

VW 2d reshape can accomplish the same thing as AutoCAD stretch, almost (I first learned about this capability from Katie in this forum!). You can select vertices from a set of multiple objects to be stretched at once. If the set contains lines or rectangles, you have to first select those objects before selecting the reshape tool.

The method will work on rectangles and lines as well as polylines and polygons, but not on arcs or circles. I don't think there is any limit to the number of vertices you can move at one time. As far as I know the lasso (= fence) selection method won't work to select the vertices, a drawback when compared to AutoCAD, but I've never actually used that whereas when I work in AutoCAD the stretch command using a marquee is one of my top 5 tools. In both programs, it's a tremendous time-saver.

[ 07-30-2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

I am still unable to do what I want. Let me put a question? Say I have a rectangle - length = 12' and breath = 6" from this rectangle I clip of another rectangle from the centre of size 10'X 4" that is it is now like the path of a park 2'along the boundary. Now let's assume I want to make this park 16'X6' keeping the path 2' only. What should I do?

|```````````````|

| |````````````| |

| | [smile][smile] - [smile][smile] | |

| |<-- 12'-----> | |now I want 2 make that 12'->16'

| |____________| |DO I need to drag the first line

| ______________| first and then the 2nd line?or

can I do it together.

Select your clipped rectangle with the 2D Reshape tool.

With the Reahape tool, drag a Marquee around the verticies you want to move, (in this case the corners of your inner and outer margins); you will see the dotted Marquee remain in place. Unfortunately, as PRetondo noted, you can't use the Lasso to produce the Marquee around a tricky set of verticies, only the rectangle Mode

You can then either drag the segments, nudge them, or use the Move command to move them a specific distance.

Press Esc to get rid of the Marquee.

cheers.

N.

Nicholas gives an excellent description of what you need to do. If you are an AutoCAD user, you can get tripped up by the simple differences in the mechanical steps each program operates with - 1) unlike in AutoCAD, with VW you first have to select the object(s) whose vertices you want to move, before you drag the marquee. Your stretch action will skip any vertices within the marquee that belong to an unselected object. 2) You can activate the 2d reshape tool, then click and shift click to populate your selection set, but only with polylines and polygons. To stretch multiple lines and rectangles, you have to make your selection before you activate 2d reshape.