VW Buffet Concept

Great example from a huge multi discipline project. As usual you find a way to show the problem - more tyranny of sheets. The dual universe (model & data presentation) is supposed to blend in the BIM world. But currently  it falls short because of the many needs pointed out.

Will browser based access to the model solve the problems? It should help wean away from sheets, but may not be the final step. Every entity going deep for info, including sheet creation, casual measurements and a host of other things will still need to know TONS about the model, its development history, and the data attached or implied.  Or may end up with errors and omissions. So many things are interconnected. You became the model tzar, and found that the team also made you the unwilling sheet tzar! Wish I had a fully functional answer. Your buffet is at least part way there. Thanks for making us think about all this! 

Edited by Benson Shaw

even if everyone did have perfect access to the model...the problem is that people are not use to dealing with it and want sheets.  

Just to get the people involved to use Bluebeam Revu for pdf management & Onshape for fabrication drawings has been a bit of a "pulling teeth" experience...

(people in companies need to get IT approval to install any software)

also, here is an example of some weird info i needed to capture:

they have a tractor with a PTO

they need to buy a mixer to mix material 

need to make sure that PTO on tractor will match PTO hook-up on mixer!!!

How in the world do i capture that??? (specifications i guess)

it seems like the model needs to be even more complex than i show in that i need to show actual operational movements with actual existing/new equipment choreography.

ok fine... but now how many sheets do i now need to show that?  

Now they are talking about how to build in phases w/o stoping current work flow so we need to show choreography for that also

now timing is involved...  concrete gets places here...current operation gets temporally moved there...

So now i have Construction sheets, Operational sheets & Operational while under construction sheets...

sheets are so static...they are a snapshot in time...obsolete as soon as they are issued

Sheets do not keep pace with the ever changing real world...& a waist of time...(ok...good for record keeping)