Crashes when opening certain files.

Jacob

Question

I was working on a file when vectorworks randomly crashed - unfortunately I can't remember the error message.

Now whenever I try and open that file, it says "Vectorworks 2018 Application has stopped working".

Strangely, all of my autosave versions have the same problem (I keep the past 10 autosaves)

A few hours ago I did "save as" to make a new version, and the previous version is fine.

I don't really get why this crash would affect the open file and all of the autosaves. Any ideas for how to rescue the past few hours of work? I've tried reinstalling vectorworks

3 answers to this question

Latest development:

I redid the work and more last night, in a new file, and saved and closed the program as usual. Now the new file and its autosaves have the same problem.

Also tried installing Vectorworks and Vectorworks Viewer on a new computer and they can't open the files.

This is really causing a lot of trouble as I am approaching a deadline and I don't really know what to do about it.

Is anyone able to do anything with the attached file?

site9.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/1/2017 at 7:33 PM, Jacob said:

I was working on a file when vectorworks randomly crashed - unfortunately I can't remember the error message.

Now whenever I try and open that file, it says "Vectorworks 2018 Application has stopped working".

Strangely, all of my autosave versions have the same problem (I keep the past 10 autosaves)

A few hours ago I did "save as" to make a new version, and the previous version is fine.

I don't really get why this crash would affect the open file and all of the autosaves. Any ideas for how to rescue the past few hours of work? I've tried reinstalling vectorworks

I am able to open the file without issue, if this was all working fine up until the crash, I recommend doing the following to reset your current installation:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/troubleshooting/resetting-vectorworks-preferences-r264/

Then, reboot your entire machine and try opening the file again, if it fails, get in touch with tech@vectorworks.net directly, you can link them to this thread to speed things along.