Sketch Style & Text

AlanW

Question

Hi, What is the best way to give the text a sketch style rendering. At present i can convert the text to polygon but would be nice to not have to convert it. also when you convert it is outlined so you get double lines. Would be nice to have a single line,

Thanks in advance

2 answers to this question

Hi Alan,

As you say, conversion to polylines is a useful trick, but the outlines are best used in creating 3d text elements I think. I've used it for signage sometimes. Also, not all fonts will convert - they need to be TrueType or OpenType - which is a pity if your chosen style is not. And yes, it produces in outline only - I'm not sure there's a clever fix for that apart from a laborious breaking down of the shape. (and thats not 'clever')

I'm not sure of your final objective, but if you want to present sketches and need an 'informal' text to suit the style I usually choose a font like Bradley Hand and perhaps colour in a grey. Sometimes using the text stretch (or compress) can be effective as well in keeping it as 'hand drawn'.

If you want a 'chalky flavour', you could use a coloured text and knock the opacity back (say) 50%. 

5a1bf16faed95_ScreenShot2017-11-27at10_59_42.thumb.png.02ded1bf874271068138db558a6dfac6.png

Or are you after a solution where the text 'receives' the same lighting and produces shadows and sketch lines consistent with the rest of the objects in the model? So, rather than basic annotation, it needs to be part of the model?

Happy to look at it further if I've not understood correctly.