How to find "trouble geometry" from a lot of objects

Art V

Question

When converting a large 3D model (16,000+ objects) from VW2016 to VW2018 the following is going on:

1.  Reading file

2. Verifying file

3. Updating Plug-In Objects

4. Translating solid operations

5. Generating resource preview

6. The following message:

image.thumb.png.973a36a58ae360eba3120564e74989d8.png

So until step 6 all seems to be working as usual, and even step 6 might not be much of an issue.

However, once the file is open the design layer is in top view, ok. Switch to isometric view and it still works fine. Then set rendering to OpenGL and the problem starts.

Compared to VW2016 which renders the model within a minute VW2018's OpenGL rendering speed is like a dead snail in a tar pit. The render progresses to approx. 25% fairly quickly and then it just keeps hanging around that 25% for at least 25 minutes and counting and then finishes rendering at just under 40 minutes.

My suspicion is that the solids from the message under step 6 may have to do with this.

How can I find those "failed to regenerate" solids out of 16,000+ objects without having to resort to resaving the VW2016 file in VW2016 to new VW2016 files for each class and convert those to VW2018 and hope the objects are in one class only (i.e get that message only once), with possibly still thousands of objects depending on the class. Though there is a possibility these solids could be across multiple classes.

Is there some way to do this more efficiently???

Or is VW2018 doing things with geometry that will cause this issue anyway with pre-2017 files?

EDIT:  OpenGL rendering times updated

Edited by Art V

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Did this file start out life in 2016? Or was any of it created in the 2009-2011 era? We swapped out solid modeling engines around then and this message and ones like it were common but I havent seen it much since then. If you can send me the file I can take a look.

In general, I don't know a way of efficiently correcting those items, but its possible running a Tools > Utilities Reset All Plugins will do it. Efficient in terms of how many clicks but not efficient in how long the reset may take, it could be a long while depending on the file.

I just checked with the first file created for this model, it started out as a VW2016 file. At some point some minor 2009-2011 era modelled objects were imported but those were remodeled in 2016 later as quite a few changes had to be made and restart from scratch was more efficient. and the file has been purged after these objects were replaced.

The only 200-2001 era things left are PIO's created in 2009 and quite a few of those are used. I'll try resetting the Plugins to see if that makes a difference. I can't send you the actual model but the PIO's are not a problem to send to you in case the problem lies with them.

27 minutes ago, JimW said:

In general, I don't know a way of efficiently correcting those items, but its possible running a Tools > Utilities Reset All Plugins will do it. Efficient in terms of how many clicks but not efficient in how long the reset may take, it could be a long while depending on the file.

Resetting the Plugins took less than a minute, rendering seems not improved. I'll send you a PM with the plugins and some other info.