VW 2018 - Unexpected error in Viewport showing 3D solid object

Martin Tye

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this please?

The 3D solid object is absolutely correct (does not appear to contain any errors) when viewed on its own Design Layer:

59edfe90df72f_ScreenShot2017-10-23at15_28_08.png.d33e8ab80b75aa4d3b8019e0741ddb91.png

But when viewed in a Viewport from a Sheet Layer, it looks like this:

59edfed3ebdc1_ScreenShot2017-10-23at15_29_28.png.2ce499d7475cc228c5e10b1689e4981d.png

It's a bit of a long story as to how the object is produced (I can provide details if required). This has just started happening with VW 2018. Any ideas please?

Thanks Christiaan - I had been using Shaded Polygon as the Background Render mode in the Viewport - and OpenGL for the object itself, on the Design Layer. I found the setting you mentioned and increased it to 70˚ but this seems to affect the viewport output only when the viewport render mode is set to OpenGL (but this looks rather imprecise and fuzzy, compared to the results I was getting with Shaded Polygon). As ever, there are way more settings than I even know about!

Just as an example, I am attaching a Viewport screenshot, using VW 2017 and I wonder if this provides more of a clue as to what might be happening?

59ee09c6bce17_ScreenShot2017-10-23at16_23_14.png.806ac6aaa33bed4950cc2046395af882.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try setting the Background Render of the viewport to OpenGL (with Draw Edges turned off in the Background Render Settings) and the Foreground Render to Hidden Line (with the Smoothing Angle as needed in the Foreground Render Settings). This will give you the shaded quality of the OpenGL (raster image) with the vector lifework of Hidden Line on top.

Also, Keep in mind that Raster render types (OpenGL and Renderworks) use the sheet layer DPI. If things look too fuzzy or pixelated, edit the sheet layer and set its DPI to something higher. The default is only 72.

You're welcome, Martin.

Sorry it didn't give you the results you're after. But good to hear you can get what you need from Final Shaded Polygon mode. :-)

I still believe you should be able to get something useful using the steps I mentioned. Would it be possible to attach the file (or send it to me privately if you prefer not to make it public)?

Hi Martin,

Hover the your cursor over my name at the top of this message and a small popup will appear with my information. At the bottom left of that popup, click on "Message". You should be able to attach the files to the message by dragging them into the message.

59efc3f04d19c_ScreenShot2017-10-24at6_51_14PM.png.db1cd4e33ab1672aee3c7f4cf1456a7b.png