Copying a selected area of a line drawing

9 hours ago, Cadplan Architecture said:

I tried it but Viewports don't convert to lines in VW2016

I forget.  Does the Sheet Layer VP have to be Grouped prior to Convert to Lines in earlier versions? I'm sure the command converts VPs in v2016 and many earlier versions. Try render the VP in Hidden Line, then Convert to lines.  Move the new object to a design layer.  Rescale as nec.

Convert to Lines may not be the best answer anyway, it has many problems. Any curve is converted to hundreds or thousands of little facet lines - They can be selected with "magic wand" and grouped or composed, but editing is impractical. If annotation geometry uses end markers (eg leader lines with arrows, dots, lassos, etc), those markers rescale if the converted VP is transferred to a design layer  - Giant Arrow Heads! If text is included in the annotations, the text does not covert to lines. Smart objects (walls, windows, hatches etc) become unintellegent collections of lines.

Another thing to try - Duplicate the Design Layer, and in the new layer, use the split tool (Trim mode - the 3rd one) several times to remove portions of objects outside the desired area? Doesn't split symbols, but they can be converted to group first.  If the remaining objects are grouped, the group can be edited, and/or transferred to other layers if needed.

@CadPlan - I'm sure you can get the required product. I just don't understand what it is or how it would be used.

Edited by Benson Shaw
composure
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/2/2018 at 2:40 AM, russellblink said:

@Cadplan Architecture  IM TRYING TO DO THE EXACT THING YOU WERE ASKING, AND UNDERSTOOD YOUR QUESTION PERFECTLY. DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT? I'D LIKE TO KNOW. THANKS

Not really, true that a duplicated and cropped viewport can be converted to lines but everything is converted to the same weight of black line and any curves such as insulation batt are chopped into lots of tiny lines. I think what I did in the end was simply select the areas of detail that I wanted pasted them into a design layer then trimmed to suit.