Suddenly crash happy

RickR

Question

Mondays!

Several hours into a project I start getting crashes almost immediately upon restarting. Zooming, exporting DWGs suddenly are crash buttons. It's been 2 projects all day, both have been happy for months. Both do have some years old components (templates, imports, old file conversions) but really it's been smooth sailing.

Tech support is now closed but I'm hoping someone is still working. I'm in Pacific coast time so lots of today still to go. Are there any new procedures for general troubleshooting?

RickR DxDiag.txt

5 answers to this question

Nothing especially new.

Make a sacrificial file. Delete have the objects. Try something that makes the original file crash. If it crashes, then go back and delete another 1/2 of the objects. If it does not crash, go to a file with the objects you originally deleted and see if those objects make it crash.

Repeat as necessary.

You might want to start with deleting 1/2 the layers if you have a similar number of objects on each layer. If you can identify down to a single layer and then a single class, it should be relatively quick to track down.

Good luck. Ask again if you need more help.

Were both files created from the same template file? Were they created from scratch in 2017 or undated from a previous version?

What is similar and what is different about the files?  Are they using the same font(s)? have you checked your fonts for corruption? Have you tried changing your fonts for something "known good" that was installed with the operating system like Arial?

Grasping at straws looking for what might be happening. It is unlikely to be a system thing as I have not heard of other similar crashes on other systems.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

From that dxdiag it looks like your integrated Intel 4600 is currently running two monitors for some reason, even though you have a Quadro K1100M in there. 

disconnect all external monitors completely, reboot, then launch Vectorworks and try the same zoom/export. If they don't crash, create a new dxdiag in that new configuration and post it here please.

The really odd thing was working several hours in a row without issue, then it all went flooy. Not even changing the monitor arrangement.

Seems fine this morning even before rebooting. I did several other things yesterday, rebooting, open other files, exporting via Publish worked (it was just the menu call that crashes). I also opened my browser and posted here.

RickR DxDiag 2.txt

Oh to Pat's questions: Fonts and symbols is probably all the files really share. One years old, one new. They might have been made from templates that were made from the same one years ago... Most of my text is in Arial but there are oddball ones imported via DWG. But nothing new yesterday.

Edited by RickR
added text