Symbols from library disappear when placed in drawing

obviouslytom

Question

I am having an issue that I haven't been able to solve. When I take a 2D/3D symbol that I have in one of my libraries and place it into a drawing, it will disappear but I can still select it. In order for me to get it to show up, I will have to turn off and on a random class and it appears. The classes that I have the symbols assigned to are all turned on then this happens.

Does anyone know of a work around to solve this issue? I have attached a screen shot of the issue and you can see that the symbol is assigned to a Furniture-Seating class (including the 2D and 3D portions of it)

Thanks for any help

Capture.JPG

6 answers to this question

Double check the classes of objects inside the symbols and that those classes are set to visible also.

Symbols (and Groups) are "Container" objects. That means that they contain other objects. In order for those contained objects to be visible, both the container and the contained objects have to be visible.

Ask again if this is not clear.

I have gone into the symbol to make sure everything is visible on the classes and they are. If I go into the symbol right now without turning the random class off and on to get it to show up, I can't select the 2d polygon that I have drawn. The only thing I can select is the text that I have inside that symbol.  This problem is occurring mainly in my furniture and lighting libraries that I have and not really any others. However since I go into my furniture library a lot, its rather annoying.

I have put two additional attachments. One is being in the symbol before turning a class on and off, and the other is showing what it should look like.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

27 minutes ago, JimW said:

If you turn ALL classes and layers on rather than just specific ones, do you see all of the expected geometry?

The class that the furniture is supposed to be on is turn on all the time. If I go and turn all classes off and then on, it solves it. I usually select the "environment" class that you see above and turn it on then off and it solves it. But like I said, it doesn't do it on all symbols and there has to be a way to fix this I would think.

Edit: I opened up the library file to see if I can edit anything in there and I noticed that everything was on a different layer. I wasn't the original creator of this library and I have been trying to fix everything I can. Does it matter that its on a different layer than the layer its going to in the final drawing? Also, the classes inside the library file were turned off. Does that have any affect on it when placing it into a drawing?

Edited by obviouslytom
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The layer should not matter if theyre both visible, but the class being off could cause problems if when imported the class doesn't exist and the prompt for changing visibility was declined. If turning all classes on made everything appear however, it usually means the contents are not in the expected classes, which can be check by pasting one of those symbols into a new blank document and seeing if you get invisible classes or a prompt to make invisible classes visible.

So I turned on everything in the furniture library and put them on the same layer as they would appear in any drawing and it seems to have solved the problem.  I will have to go through all my libraries to make sure they are set up the same way to prevent this from being an issue in the future.

Thanks for the help.