modify rotated rectangle dimension

I have a question as a VW newuser.

I have drawn a 100x50 rectangle,

If i rotate this rectangle the dimensions I read in the Obj Info windows of course change.

Now I'd like to update the real dimensions (not the rotated) of the rectangle, say I'd like it 120x50.

How can I do this update? Since the rectangle is rotated I can't anymore use the Obj Info window input: the displayed dimensions aren't the real ones...

please tell me if this operation is possible.

If not, I'd add it to the wish list!!!

The rotated rectangle becomes a polygon.

You can use the 2d reshape tool to move one of the vertices of the rectangle along the long edge 20 more feet.

Click on the 2d reshape tool.

Click on the vertex you want to move.

Using the tab key, press it until you get to the L value. Type in 20' (or wahtever measurement) and hit enter.

You will be locked in at 20' in any direction of that vertex.

Drag the vertex so it stays aligned with the edge of the rectangle and click to place it in the moved spot.

Repeat the step for the vertex along the other edge.

This is one of the annoying "features" of VW's.

Why when you rotate a rectangle does it have to become a polygon?

When you rotate a "detail cut wood" or "rectangular tubing" object for example, their dimensions are still editable in the OIP.

Regards

Brett

Brett the difference between the two objects you mentioned and a rectangle is that the two objects are parametric. They have a height and width value in the OIP controlled by a parameter within the object definition (code).

The rectangle is using vector based definitions to create it. When it is rotated, vector speaking, it's no longer a rectangle and is then a polygon.

YOu can still use the Data Display bar to enter in values for the legth and width of the rectangle using the 2d reshape tool as explained in the post above.

Katie, as you know, AutoCAD doesn't have rectangles at all, and there is no way to resize a rectangle as we can with VW. But I have always wondered why VW doesn't implement a multiple-vertex reshape capability so that we can have something similar to ACAD's "stretch" command, where you can move any number of vertices (in multiple objects, to boot) in any direction, all with one mouse operation. With the "stretch" command it is much easier to resize a rotated rectangle (one step instead of the 2 to 3 steps you outline above). I've often wondered if there some kind of patent issue involved? I'd love to see how much better VW engineers could do with the multiple-vertex "stretch" concept. It could be as simple as allowing more than one vertex to be selected before doing the modification as you have outlined it.

[ 10-20-2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

You can "stretch" with a rotated rectangle ..

If you draw a rectangle, rotate it about 30 degrees or so - switch to the 2d reshape tool.

Select the 1st mode.

Marquee around the two handles you'd like to move and drag in the direction you'd like to move them.

The one drawback, you can't use the Data Display Bar for this.

(This is why I suggested the other way for the other person to resize the rectangle, since they needed an exact distance while maintaining the exact shape)

Katie, awesome! Using the "perpendicular" or "parallel" cue, you can stretch the rotated rectangle along its axis, and (maybe this is new in 10.5) you can tab to the "L" parameter and enter how much you want to stretch it. Screen display is a little shaky, negative numbers are interpreted as positive, but it works!

Thanks for pointing out this feature. Never knew it existed.

[ 10-21-2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]