Drag and drop symbols from Resouce Manager

again some strage behaviour of VW 17 :

When I open a favorite file this file shows up in the resource manager in the open files folder and in the favorites folder. A symbol can not be dragged and dropped from the file in favorites folder, although the symbol insertion tool works. It can only be dragged from the open files folder file.

B.T.W.:  Why can't I drag and drop a symbol from the symbol insertion dropdown list ? Can I put that on wishlist for christmas 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020 ? Or is ther a preferance button for that somehere ?

Hi, If you right click on the file and select "Add to Favourites" it will add the file to your favourites.

Also to remove it from your favourites right click and hit "Remove from Favourites"

A Symbol is only an object in a drawing and all the files in the libraries appear to be files, so unless I am mistaken the only way to get your symbol over to the favourites is to export the Symbol to a file in your favourites from there you can access it.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Maybe you misunderstood me, it's only about the problen that I cant drag + drop the symbols, not about how to sort favorites.

try the following:

-  choose a favorites "myfile" from resouce manager

-  choose "action", open

-  try to drag and drop a symbol from favorites "myfile"

nothing happens

- go to

"open Files" "my file"

- try to drag an drop

this one works.

Edited by halfcouple

mmmm. Sorry, If I open a favourite i can drag and drop the a library file to an open file but you cant drag or copy to a Vectorworks Library file, as I recall they are fingerprinted read only. If you have these files in your user folder or workgroup folder you can drag and copy to these.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfcouple - I know what you're talking about.  The solution is that you need to double click on the symbol that you want to activate that will engage symbol placement and allow you to either drag it into the file or drop out of the resource browser and then place it wherever you like.