Roof Face and Combine Tool

Can anyone direct me to a decent bit of info on how the combine tool works with relation to the roof face tool. Have spent quite a while doing searches and watching videos on the features of the roof tool, but none that actually show how the join/combine feature is supposed to work. I'm getting the face to join but as soon as one has more than four sides it goes all over the place. On archicad from memory you hold CTRL and click one face then click the face you want to join to. Years ago you had to draw it in line work then adjust the embedded polygons to suit but im sure there has been an improvement since then.

With complicated roofs I use roof faces and I draw the plan shape first then to get the valleys to show up properly in top plan mode I will use 3dpoly lines to trim the roof faces in 3D so they don't overlap. I also now place a hatch on my 2D roof poly by double clicking the roof to get to the poly then add hatch then it shows as I want in top plan mode without the need to add another hatch. Have place a hatch directly to the roof face on a section of the roof plan attached

You are in NZ, Jonathon Pickup is extremely knowledgeable and helpful and has taught me so much when I thought I knew how to do things in VW. Maybe should should get in touch with him if you are close by, maybe he could help you out.

The combine tool is great. draw 2 lines that dont touch but point to the same point. click the second mode (join) then click one line then the other and they join. test out others but same principle.

HTH

Video at;

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thanks Alan great video.

Have been trying to find cleaner methods to create drawings similar to how I would use Arhicad. Find that by having to draw multiple objects or guidelines or draw objects to hide others or draw fills over 3D object to show correct is not efficient. No doubt there are cases when this is necessary but in this example only joining simple roof planes. I'm sure there is a better way to use the combine tool with the roof faces. In the attached image there are two examples, one works fine the other does not. Without wasting anymore time looking through vectorworks videos hoping some can can explain a better way, eg hold shift when you click and that way it wont intersect whole roof. In archicad I could have 20 roof faces all not touching then by simply holding CTRL could click each face and would have a completed roof within 10 minutes.

Not wanting to sound like a rant at all just getting a bit frustrated with some of the tools. So many tools don't seem to work 100% and involve drawing line work over or drawing other duplicate object to look correct. Eg site model in section, handrails, floor surfaces, keynote legends. These are just the basic objects not trying to do anything complex or tricky.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Josh NZ