Possible SP4 problem

Hi

I've just installed SP4 on my PC and have encountered a problem. When i open a file including some imported OBJ human figures the mapping does not work on the PC, the same file when opened on my mac (but running SP3) is fine (see attached image). Both files are opened from the same dropbox so are identical.

Unfortunately without un-installing VW altogether and reverting to SP3 I am unable to say whether this is an OS problom or a service pack issue.

When I try to directly import the original OBJ files on the PC I get an error message saying the jpeg cannot be imported. The geometry is imported fine.

Help!

So after a bit of digging I've established that the problem is vectorworks will not import the JPG that is associated with the male models in the file. When I attempt to replace the image in the texture, I get the following error: 'Unable to create a graphics importer for the file. The system may not have an importer installed or memory may be low.'

It's not memory related so I tried opening the JPG in photoshop (CC) and saving a copy as a re-encoded file and it now works.

I'm not sure why this would happen? According to the file's properties it was created in photoshop CS6 whereas the JPGs for the female characters were created in CC.

Does this mean I will have to re-encode all the textures for these OBJ models or is there a VW workaround?

At least we know VW isn't sexist now though.

you have no idea how difficult it is to find models of women who are not either naked or a bit sexy!

I just want a boring HR manager in a suit!

If you have an Adobe CC subscription - you can try the included FUSE as it will let you create a character that you can create, style and dress (in T pose). Then you can bring that into Photoshop and run different motion captured actions to pose. Then export a OBJ with all the maps. I know - 3D in Photoshop, but it works well.

I've been using these characters in Cinema 4D, but I just tried importing into Vectorworks and it works pretty well. Not sure the normal mapping is carrying through, but I just did a quick test.

Fuse tutorial here:

e.

Thanks

I have an answer as to the cause:

'The Vectorworks 2016 Windows OBJ importer, does not support spaces in the filename for the images.'

'They think this is something they might be modifying in Vectorworks 2017, so it will no longer necessary in future versions.'

I'll definitely explore the CC option