Field selector for Worksheets

Mathieu Hefti

Question

Hi,

Worksheets are a very powerful tool to extract data from a drawing. The "Excel" layout of the tool is quite convenient, the helper to set database criteria also.

It gets quite more complicated when you set up each column of your database, using functions, keywords and plugins' field references. Functions and keywords are quite well described in the VW help, but plugins field references are very hard to identify: I mean, when you want a column to display the Space custom name, you have to guess the field name to be 'Space'.'11_Space Name Cust'.

I know it's possible to set up a worksheet with the Report tool menu (Tools->Reports->Create report...) and from there to select the fields through the UI, but a huge improvement of Worksheets would be a selector for these fields (it might be in the right mouse click menu, for instance) directly from the worksheet. It would make possible to edit the database columns, to add a new field for instance, without to create a new Report from scratch.

If this option already exists, and I didn't find it, please teach me how to access it.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

That would be fantastic. It doesn't exist yet.

Most people use Pat Stanford's script:

Select an object with an attached record format and run the script. (objects need to not be inserted in walls).

It produces a worksheet with the name of each field and record format.field name. Then it's a simple copy and paste to build your own.

Thanks again, Pat!

hth

mk

• Like 1

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your answer. I saw this script once but were not able to get anything out of it. I missed the "Select an object with an attached record format" step before to run the script... Your comment solved my issue.

I still hope to get an easier way to access the information in the future, but it's a great workaround meanwhile.

Best regards.

Hi,

Also having similar troubles! I tried to follow the link but is broken with the new forums - Could you post a new link, or the name of Pat's script so I can search for it? I tried a search for 'Pat Stanford's script' but I see he has created a whole bunch and not sure what I need..

Unless of course a simpler way has been created by now to do this??