One Design layer. Multiple viewports showing product in different textures.

MJBfleet

I'm a product designer. I render our products but we have many color combinations. Is it possible to have 1 design layer but show that product in different colors depending on the viewport?

Or is there another way I can accomplish this?

I'm basically trying to figure out the fastest and easiest way to make image files of all our products in different textures.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes.

You will have to texture your objects By Class, which can be done in Tools > Organization. For almost all raw 3D geometry objects the texture is controlled by the "Other" tab in the Texture section at the bottom of the Edit Class window.

Then, create multiple viewports, and with those viewports selected, click the "Classes..." button in the Object Into palette. Then check the option to use Class Overrides. If you then select one of the above classes (the one you used to control the texture of the object) and set that Other texture option to a different texture, that viewport will render that class texture with the new one you select. This can be done for any number of viewports in any combination as long as the textures are all class controlled.

Class Overrides.

If you have an object set to take one or more Attributes as By Class, then in a viewport you can select the appropriate class and change the attributes in just this viewport.

Try this to get an idea of how it works.

Draw a 2D object (rectangle, poly, oval, etc.) Select it and in the attributes palette set the line weight and line color to By Class. Pick a color for the fill color (something other than No Fill) but don't set it to By Class.

Make a Sheet Layer Viewport that includes the object (i.e., don't use the object as a Crop Object).

Duplicate the Viewport and arrange them so you can see both viewports at the same time.

Select one of the viewports, Click the Class button, select the class of the object and click the Edit button. Go to the Line Color set and change the color of the line. Go to the Line Weight set and set it to something heavier than you had originally. The more drastic the changes you make the easier it will be to see the results.

Click OK twice and look at the differenced between the two viewports.

Go back in to the viewport you just changed, click the Class Button and Edit button again. This time set the override for the Fill Color to something drastically different than you started with. Click OK twice and look at the two viewports.

The fill color should not have changed because the original object was not set to have the fill color set By Class.

Go back to the original design layer, select the object and change the Fill Color and Fill Pattern to be By Class.

Go back to the Sheet Layer. Compare the two viewports. The Fill Color of the one you edited should now show the override.

Hope this helps.

Can you explain what the Class Overrides option does? Wither I have it checked or not I seem to still be able to change the texture.

I believe you are asking about the checkbox that appears in the Viewport Class Properties dialogue box, under "Use embedded design layer viewport settings for:".

This is only relevant when your Sheet Layer Viewport is looking at a Design Layer which has a Design Layer Viewport on it. That Design Layer Viewport could have its own class overrides, so this checkbox determines whether those overrides from the embedded viewport should be used.

Most of the time this is not relevant. :)