Custom window creation

Kizza

I'm involved in a project where I need to create custom window symbols like the one attached.

Modeling the window is not an issue.What I do need to research is the process of creating a usable window symbol from scratch.

Particularly:

Where is the vertical insertion point of the window taken from? i.e. how is the height of the window contolled?

What is the correct procedure to create the wall opening?

i.e. 3D locus?

The attached is a 2D elevation of the window I need to create in 3D.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13332&filename=Screen%20Shot%202015-11-03%20at%207.51.32%20am.png

Edited by Kizza

KIzza, the basic window minus the additional glazing bars to the top sashes is easily created in Windoor. Turn it into a symbol and then add the additional glazing bars manually by modelling them in 3D within the symbol. Use the WD-Sashes class for the glazing bars.

Edited by mike m oz
  • 2 weeks later...

MikeM, thanks for your reply.

I currently have a US version, so no WinDoor.

But your suggested method certainly has given me some other ideas to try.

I'd still like to get my head around how the process on creating a window symbol from scratch works though. Unfortunately, this process is not documented.

Hi Alan,

Thx for reply but I think my area of weakness is not the modelling side of things, it's more questions like:

Where is the window's insertion point controlled in the symbol?

How is the wall cut defined, a polygon or 3D loci?

I don't want to model the window in place, but rather model a window which I can re-use.

Hi, Its controlled in 2 locations, Right click on the symbol in the resource browser and you can edit 3d component. This will set the centre of the symbol and also right click on Symbol and edit Symbol options and you can set the location in the wall and a few other options.

HTH