VW 2013 lost its serial number

Ramoo: If you haven't already, try deleting your Vw preferences as described below in Steps 2 through 4 in Uninstalling Vectorworks

2) Throw away the “net.nemetschek.vectorworks20XX.plist” file from 'HD > Library > Preferences'

For steps 3-5: On Mac OSX 10.7 and newer, the Library folder for your User account is hidden. The easiest way to display it is to open Finder, click on the Go menu in the Menu Bar, then hold down the Alt/Option key on your keyboard. An option for "Library" will appear in the Go Menu. Click Library to open this folder in your Finder Window.

3) Throw away the “net.nemetschek.vectorworks20XX.plist” file from 'HD > Users > (User's Home Folder) > Library > Preferences'

4) Throw away the "net.nemetschek.vectorworks.license.20XX.plist" file from 'HD > Users > (User's Home Folder) > Library > Preferences'

Once you've deleted the Vw preferences, empty the trash and restart.

Once restarted, repair your Permissions and restart again.

Repairing Permissions : Apple Support

Log in to your user account, and for good measure reset the NVRAM as described below.

How to Reset NVRAM : Apple Support

Once you've done all that, log back in, start up Vw, enter your SN and hope for the best.

Zoomer: As far as I know the rights of folders and files were fine.

Tim: Thanks for the advice, I followed all the steps but they didn't work.

I tried restoring the whole system from a previous BackUp but the problem persist. At the end the only solution that worked was to install a clean new system (very painful). Nevertheless I try to open VW from a new user and I had the same problem.

This situation scares me because I have an upcoming trip And I need VW working on my laptop while abroad (I haven't noticed the issue on my desktop).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you enter your serial number, does the error message after that state that the "entered serial number is invalid" or is it closer to "No valid serial number has been entered" ? The first indicates the issue is with the SN, the second indicates that your installation is unable to write to the preference folders, which can be corrected manually like so:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/634/Standard+User+Accounts+-+Vectorworks+not+launching+%7B47%7D+Not+retaining+license+information

The above article focuses on Standard accounts, but can correct issues in normal Admin accounts like this as well.