Rotate plan tool VW 2016 Fundamentals

Rotate plan applies to the entire drawing, i.e. all design layers.

If you want to rotate only one design layer you will have to do this manually on the layer to which the rotation should apply.

The rotate plan feature is right behind the drop down menu of the 3D views, if it does not show there then it is probably not available in Fundamentals. However it does show in my Fundamentals workspace so for now I assume it may be available.

Hi Art V.

I would like to rotate the whole drawing, instead of just one object. So the rotate plan tool would help me i think.

Could you send a screenshot of where it is located, i'm struggling to find it. Is it the same as rotate view tool? That doesn't seem to let me rotate the Top/Plan view.

The transparent yellow marked part is the rotate plan.

You have to click on the two arrows icon just ahead of the box with the number of degrees to select the edge/line you wish to use as basis of your rotation or type a rotation angle in the box.

Edited by Art V

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

You need to click twice, the first click sets the origin of rotation and the second click sets the angle you want to turn to a horizontal or vertical. The cursor can snap to a line you want to use as the basis for your rotation.

If you do this correctly there should be a line and an arrow after the fist click indicating which direction the rotation will happen (usually the nearest horizontal or vertical). Moving the mouse will change the direction and angle of the rotation and upon the second click the desired rotation should be applied.

If you already know the rotation angle you can type this in the box and it will rotate around the origin of the document. In that case there is no need to click in the drawings.

@jonathan.etchells: Back to your original question, I think the issue is that 'Rotate Plan' function is not included in Fundamentals.

(My other solution to your question would be to use Design Layer viewports, but that's also not included in Fundamentals...)

I think the only what to do what you're asking in Fundamentals, is to make a copy of everything on your floor plan layer, group it, and move that group to your elevation layer and rotate it around the elevations as required.

Whenever you make plan changes, you'll have to redo this as the group won't be a "live" link.

There used to be a 3rd party plugin from Vectorbits called 'Rotate Drawing', but it hasn't been updated since there is no need for it now that it's included in Vw (...except for Fundamentals). You can still download an old (Vw11.5.1) version of the plugin from the following link. Chances are good it may not even work, but it's worth a shot.

Rotate Drawing 11.5.1 - Vectorbits

Edited by rDesign

From the VW2016 online help about rotate plan

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2016/eng/index.htm#t=VW2016_Guide%2FViews%2FRotating_the_Plan.htm&rhsearch=rotate%20plan&rhhlterm=rotate%20plan&rhsyns=

Maybe this will give you some more help from start to beginning. If it still does not work then you may have run into a bug or maybe an install issue.

On thing to be aware of when it comes to rotated plan is that you will have to pay extra attention too coordinates, especially if you are working on georeferenced drawings.