strange behavior

jmartinarch

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That looks like the floating data bar, its normally controlled by the Data Bar and Edit Group Options button near the top right of the view bar, the one that looks like a gear.

It can be turned on, off and have various components of it disabled or enabled from there. But for the rest of the symptoms it sounds like there was a dialog open in the background or in another space that wasn't letting you interact with Vectorworks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

This is still happening. I played with the data bar & edit group but that really isn't the issue. It starts by seeing the hand from the pan command. If I esc then the data bar presents itself and menu items go grey. I can still draw if using only tool buttons. keyboard commands do not work, not even erase key.

I have to completely quit VW and restart to restore functions.

More info; it seems to happen when panning by way of the middle mouse button.

Edited by jmartinarch

So I changed to a different mouse. And the same behavior. How do you get rid of the data bar and restore the menu items without quitting VW???

I get rid of the data bar by going to the 'gear' and unchecking, but the menu items are still gray and I can't work.

Edited by jmartinarch
  • 2 weeks later...

Wild, one in a million chance idea:

Intermittently sticky keyboard key? Maybe the Tab key?

My old laptop had a sticky "tilda" key - Pressing grayed out all the snaps but release did not reactivate them. But by the time I noticed, I was several actions past the cause of problem. I think I discovered in some text software when the tilda character started filling line after line. Had to jiggle the key to make it stop.

-B

• 3 weeks later...