Connecting 3D Pipes in different directions

DanForty

Hello

I was wondering if anybody could explain how to connect the face of a pipe to the edge of a pipe.

I am trying to make a chandelier out of copper piping and am not sure how to get the pipes to connect on different planes. Every time I extrude along a circle I create the outcome I want but then I can't seem to connect anything to that circle. When i draw a straight line it shoots across the plane and I'm not sure if its a "Select work plan" issue on my part.

Sorry Im really new at CAD programs in general..

Below are two pictures of something along the lines that I wanted to create.

Also I am using 2013 Student Edition on a Macbook

http://cdn.silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/steampunk-chandelier.jpg

https://m2.behance.net/rendition/pm/5570729/disp/562198cda8093243cebb7eec50ebcd68.JPG

Thank you to anybody who answers my call!

Dan

Can you upload some screen shots of what you've done already?

A "line", is inherently a 2d object, so it can't attach to a 3d object until you give it some sort of 3d component. I would suggest trying to make all of the parts - the mourning ring, the light bulbs, the spokes, the cente post etc. - in 3d, and then use the "Solid Additions" command under the Modify (I think, but it varies by workspace) menu to put them together.

Something else you could do would make all of the parts that repeat, like the light bulbs, a symbol. That way if you have to modify it, you can do them all at once. Then just arrange the pieces as you want and group them. Or better yet, turn the whole thing into a 3d symbol.

I hope that helps

I hope these pictures help. I am just trying to make a chandelier out of pipes, sort of "steampunkish" i suppose you would say. But if you can see from the one image I cannot seem to get straight lines to attach to my circular extrudes.

I have never touched vector works until about 2 weeks ago and I had to make an entire set design! So I'm sorry if my images are pretty amateur. Creating a "symbol" is also a pretty foreign concept to me as of now.

Again, Thank you so much for the help Benjamin!

Dan

Build this puppy on an isolated layer or all by its self in a new blank file. Then place it in your drawing as a group or symbol.

You can do the whole thing in Top Plan

I'm guessing you are shifting the view out of top plan, then drawing 2d lines for the vertical pipes. The 2d lines are staying on the layer plane, even though they appear to be aligned with the z of the view.

Here's the drill

The hoops can be Extrude along Path (EAP) circles. Looks like you have that part nailed. Make them both on layer plane. Then use OIP to raise the z value of the smaller hoop.

The vertical elements are made from circles properly arranged in top plan view. Select and Extrude them, all at once or individually.

Now, select the whole assembly and make it a group or a symbol and place it as desired in your drawing.

HTH

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12738&filename=Pipes%20Top%20Plan.pngubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12739&filename=PIpes%203d.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

You are a saint my friend!

Below I posted my result.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make this bad boy into a kick-butt chandelier

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been using vector works? I see from your website that you have done some amazing light designs!

-Dan

Dam, He gets all the fun things to do.

Love Angie's umbrella and those CWU Vases are stunning and such detail, the reflection on the centre panel for the blue inside the shell is fabulous.

AMAZING

Well I'll get back to my wall detail.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Welll, thanks for the strokes!

@Dan - I started VW at version 8, the first version called Vectorworks instead of MiniCAD. And I'm still just a hack in the mail room. Sooo much to learn and relearn.

@Alan - Those vases were a hugely satisfying project. The stainless steel was waterjet cut from VWX files saved to DWG, the cutout parts were fused/welded, then sandblasted, then electropolished (kInd of an anti anodizing dip - nothing is added. Instead, iron is removed, leaving a nickel rich surface). The blue is mosaic of glass shards integral in the concrete castings.

-B