Link Space name to an object

jc4d

Hi all,

Is there a way to "link" an object to spaces?

For example, I make my walls and put a bed in one of those rooms, when I click create spaces from walls I would like that the command read the room that has the bed then automatically the space is called bedroom. The same if I put a toilet seat in one room, then the command is called automatically wc.

Makes sense?

Cheers,

Juan

Not exactly the way you are looking for.

In a worksheet you can use the name of a space object as a criteria for a database, but you can't have a database of symbols and ask them for their locations.

i.e. you can list all the objects in a room, but you can't list all the chairs and ask them what room they're in.

hth

mk

Not exactly the way you are looking for.

In a worksheet you can use the name of a space object as a criteria for a database, but you can't have a database of symbols and ask them for their locations.

i.e. you can list all the objects in a room, but you can't list all the chairs and ask them what room they're in.

hth

mk

Hmmm I see, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Juan

There is no manual available yet for that object. I'll try to make a small video in the coming week.

The symbolobject is just a point based object.

From the oip you can select a symbol from your library to display.

The space reference is made automatically so just place or move this object into the 3D cube of a space object. If a space reference is found, the information will be visible in the OIP.

Edited by hippothamus

Ok, I think I´m getting the grip of it, thank you.

Now I see that in the OIP the space name of that specific symbol, it´s great, but can be done in the opposite?

For example: I have a bed symbol and pre-attach the Space name "Bedroom" when I create a Space for that room where that bed is the Space name is automatically displayed as "Bedroom".

It can be done with this plugin?

Cheers,

Juan

This only works in one direction: the symbolobject can find it's space reference.

A space object can not find all it's symbols and update them.

Yes a little difficult to explain here, let´s see...

It could work in the opposite way:

1- You draw your walls

2- Place a symbol (bed, desk, chair, any symbol) this symbol has a record field for example Room type: Library.

3- When you hit Create Spaces from Walls, then the Custom Space Name displayed in the viewport will read that symbol record field (Library)

Cheers,

Juan

This only works in one direction: the symbolobject can find it's space reference.

A space object can not find all it's symbols and update them.

Yes a little difficult to explain here, let´s see...

It could work in the opposite way:

1- You draw your walls

2- Place a symbol (bed, desk, chair, any symbol) this symbol has a record field for example Room type: Library.

3- When you hit Create Spaces from Walls, then the Custom Space Name displayed in the viewport will read that symbol record field (Library)

Cheers,

Juan

What you want is to define the space name in your symbol. The next step is to use the "create spaces from wall command". You want this command to use the name saved into the previous placed symbol as the name for the space object ?

This would only be possible by creating a custom script.

But I don't see the point honestly.

Since you take the time to put the space name into the symbol why not placing it in the space object itself ? It takes as much time to do either of those options, and imagine having 3 symbols with different names in a room, the script might not take the right one a result.

I believe you are better off naming the space objects manually unless I'm still not understanding your question.

What you want is to define the space name in your symbol. The next step is to use the "create spaces from wall command". You want this command to use the name saved into the previous placed symbol as the name for the space object ?

Exactly.

This would only be possible by creating a custom script.

I need to dig into scripting then :D or wait for Marionette since I have zero knowledge about scripting.

But I don't see the point honestly.

Imagine that you have a building 15 stories where some of them are not the same and plenty of rooms, do you have manually to click on each space in order to place the name of each space?

From my point of view this will be a huge time saver.

Since you take the time to put the space name into the symbol why not placing it in the space object itself ? It takes as much time to do either of those options, and imagine having 3 symbols with different names in a room, the script might not take the right one a result.

I believe you are better off naming the space objects manually unless I'm still not understanding your question.

Now this will be part of drawing organization, only one key symbol will have that record format... for example bed has the Bedroom data, only beds can be in bedroom, then a stove has the kitchen data, only stoves can be in kitchen and so on.

Cheers,

Juan