Existing walls from a survey: freeform profile wall entities

Hi all,

I am dealing with a survey of some historical buildings for a refurbishment and expansion. The existing is from 1200 - 1500, and I would be happy to be able to convert my 2D shapes into proper walls.

By seeking on the internet, I have seen that there is a tool which creates a wall from a polyline, but it is not what I need. Then, I tried to extrude them, but once again it is not what I am looking for.

I am talking about proper wall objects able to join to new ones. By doing this I might be able to calculate how much I am demolishing/modifying and to calc a rough expense estimation.

Any suggestions or alternative approach?

Thank you

Claudio

I would probably use one (or more) Wall/s (or a Wall Style/s) that closely approximate/s the existing walls. In other words, you might have to "Fake It" a little. Make sure to take copious notes (and then remember where you put them) so that you can refer to them later on in the process as needed.

I often put a note for builders on little annoying portions of a project that I know can't truly be solved until or unless one has a tool belt on. The note reads: M.I.W. (answer to the meaning/translation later, after others have chimed in...)

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I see what you mean and I thought to do that for a moment. Unfortunately, my surveyed area is quite big (around 5,000m2) and that would mean to spend a lot of time in drawing the survey again.

I was wondering if another way is possible (I am kind of new to vectorworks) such as hidden functionalities I don't know or scripting in vectorscript.

Thank you

Hi,

If you want to just create walls from polygons you could convert your polygons to slabs that are the correct height (thickness).

Unfortunately the thickness in down and not up so you will have to move walls (slabs) up by the thickness of your slabs to get them to sit on your zero level.

Unfortunately when you convert a fat polygon to a wall it uses the perimeter line.

So add all your polygons together and create objects from shapes.

Will think more to see if wall can be produced better.

Maybe if you draw a wall and add AEC/wall projections from your polygons they will create fat walls.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell