Importing DWG's to scale

L+K

Is there a way to import an AutoCAD site survey into VW at the right scale? When importing, I choose the scale I want the layers to be in, however when I dimension them on the computer, they're not scaling properly.

Ex: A Lot which should be 20' wide, dimensions at 1'-10 1/2". If I print it out -it scales accurately, but it doesn't in VW. I know I can scale the entire drawing up, but it just seems like this is an extra step, which shouldn't need to be done.

Suggestions appreciated!

The reason the objects are not coming in correctly is because the Units are not being specified correctly when importing the file.

When importing a dxf/dwg, the first screen that comes up - first tab -- there is a drop down box that says "units". Select the unit the drawing was drawn with.

Failure to select the correct unit will result in incorrect drawing/dimensioning of objects.

If you import a drawing as inches and the drawing was done in milimeters or feet, the drawing will not translate the measurement of the objects correctly.

If you are still off by a fraction of an inch, check the Units in the drawing AFTEr importing by going to Page>Units.

Select Dimension Objects Primary where it says General Display and check to make sure the dimension settings are set to the correct place value or fraction value.

You shouldn't have drawings importing with the incorrect measurments or units if the above settings are set correctly. VW 8 had some issues with this, but VW 9 and VW 10 are right on the money.

[ 02-25-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie's solution points out the problem that is nearly always the case. Most of the time I get a dwg i know nothing about and have to import to see what it is. If you know ahead of time it is architectual, you can usually skip the units. Most of mine are site plans that only use feet, so I strive to remember to set my units to feet first.

NNA, is it possible to add a units selection option box to the import dialog box, or is that too late to affect the import?