Report to show all all symbols in a class (even if there not on drawing)

Im trying to generate a report that will show me a count of all symbols in a class, even if they are not used in a particular drawing.

For example id like to show all icons in my Small Power class and show a report that shows i have ie. 10 Double sockets, 2 5amp sockets, 0 fused spurs..

Id like to do it this way so that i can use the items with a 0 count as a prompt to double check that they havnt been forgotten. (ie that i purposly have left off the fused sockets and its not a mistake)

Is there a way i can run a symbol count / quantity report but set it to include non used symbols ?

The only way i can think of doing this at the moment is as below but neither of these is ideal :

A) Take all my symbols place them out of sight on the design layer so they get picked up by the symbol count report. PROS - easy to implement CONS - Will give a 1 count for items that are not used in my drawing (in this instance i can always try and remember that 1 = 0 but its not ideal.

B) Run a report that instead of showing all the symbols of a particular class is grouped by individual symbols PROS - achieves they correct results CONS - fidly to setup as each individual symbol will need to be listed in the report criteria.

Edited by John Whyte

D) Put one of every symbol on a dummy layer. That layer stays invisible.

Make a temporary worksheet database of all the symbols in the desired class.

Make a database call for =S to get the names of the symbols. (Or use a record field, if you have names attached in a record format)

Sort by that column. Sum by that column

Copy all the cells with names in that column.

In a new worksheet select a range of cells in a column equal to the range you just copied and paste.

You should now have the name of every symbol in a column.

Use the non database version of the count call =COUNT(S=[CELL REF]) - 1

You don't have to do the first part to get the names of the symbols, it just saves you typing them in.

E) Use an IF/THEN statement in the count column

In English it would be

IF the symbol is not on the Layer-Example of every symbol- THEN Count 1 ELSE 0

In worksheet speak its

=IF(L<>'One of Every Symbol Used', COUNT, 0)

Option E is better, if you're ok with IF/THEN/ELSE statements.

I'll attach a quick example.

hth

mk

John,

Do you have the symbols you are talking about set to insert into a specific class or just into the active class?

If it is the active class, then the symbol definition really does not have a class. Are you talking about the class of the symbol instance or the class of objects within the symbol definition?

Unfortunately, worksheets don't understand Symbol Definitions, only objects that actually exist on Layers.

Are you trying to do this for EVERY symbol in the document? Or just for some subset?

Tricky problem.

If you just want to way to help make sure you are not forgetting anything, it might be easier to write a script that you give you a list of all the symbols that are in the file but not instanced on a layer.